• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Road Runner 15x10 wheel on 295/65/15 tires

69_bad_bird

Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out right now wether or not if a 15x10 wheel with a 4.87 backspacing with a 295/65/15 tire would fit underneath a 69 Road Runner. It doesn't have any tubs or spring relocation, but it does have an inch lift in the rear over stock. I've seen a couple people saying it would fit but not too certain of it. Any input helps.

Thanks.

Lift doesn’t do squat for side clearance. Pull a wheel off and put a straightedge on the hub and measure to the inner wheel well as well as to the fender lip. This will tell you the widest tire you can fit. As well as wheel size and offset.

I had N50 Formula One super stock tires over forty years ago on my 1970, as shown here with all the original rust attached. With a 12 1/4" tread they were slightly wider than a 295. They fit the original quarters but after replacing with new panels that had slightly deeper wheel lips they no longer cleared. Those are on 15 X 10 Appliance wheels. Although they didn't originally rub the wheel lip, on hard cornering they started to polish the inner frame rail just a bit.
1714668432416.png

That’s surprising because the frame rail is 3” further in than the wheel tub !!!

I don't know for sure.
What I DO know is that a 10.5 x28 slick fits well on my 69 runner, on a 15x8 1/2 centerline with a 4 7/8 backspace. My car does have the lip rolled, and a 10.5x28 slick is almost the exact same as a 295/55x15 drag radial.
So you basically want to run the same tire I have, a bit taller, but with it an inch and a half closer to the fender.
I'd have to say no. I don't think it will fit. I think you would need more like 5.5 bs for a ten inch (really 11, you know) rim. (5.5 bs would be zero offset, on an alloy ten Inch rim)

I don't know for sure.
What I DO know is that a 10.5 x28 slick fits well on my 69 runner, on a 15x8 1/2 centerline with a 4 7/8 backspace. My car does have the lip rolled, and a 10.5x28 slick is almost the exact same as a 295/55x15 drag radial.
So you basically want to run the same tire I have, a bit taller, but with it an inch and a half closer to the fender.
I'd have to say no. I don't think it will fit. I think you would need more like 5.5 bs for a ten inch (really 11, you know) rim. (5.5 bs would be zero offset, on an alloy ten Inch rim)
So do you think I could squeeze a 15x8.5 with a 295/55/15 under there? Those center line wheels are actually what I'm going for lol.

So do you think I could squeeze a 15x8.5 with a 295/55/15 under there? Those center line wheels are actually what I'm going for lol.
On the right wheel, with the right backspace.... yep, they'll fit.
(The only 295/55/15s I know of are drag radials, Hoosier and m/t.)
Mine are currently on my 62, and need a. 300 spacer, but I didn't need the spacer on my 69rr.

It can be done but it will require more backspacing…

IMG_4725.jpeg

Anything can be done if you have the right tools. Start by taking some careful measurements and go from there. Those are big wheel tubs in the car but you have to be really careful on the backspacing as well as the bulge on the sidewalls.

IMG_0318 (Large).JPG

DSC_4437 (Large).JPG

IMG_0871 (Large).JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back