• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Funky turn signal SOUNDS… video enclosed

pjoll84

Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’ve got this funky problem with my turn signals. One side flashes normal, other side flashes sporadically and recently started doing this… (see video)

The one side with fast action sound looks normal on the gauge however, the side that deflects the amp gauge ( alt gauge ) to almost maximum discharge current draw is indicating a huge not normal current draw. But you know that... You could have one of a single or multiple issues... could be a lamp that has an internal short, a wire associated with tail lights / turn signals that is shorting to chassis or pinched somewhere. I'm suprised that this condition has not blown a fuse. I would certainly not leave the bad side active for more than a split second, otherwise you are going to have a major meltdown or possible fire at that current draw amount !!
I would start by removing all lamps on the bad side front, rear, sides basically anything that's associated with turn signals and see if problem clears. If not, you got a wiring problem or possible issue in turn signal switch or wiring in steering column. My 2 cents worth...

Last edited:
The one side with fast action sound looks normal on the gauge however, the side that deflects the amp gauge ( alt gauge ) to almost maximum discharge current draw is indicating a huge not normal current draw. But you know that... You could have one of a single or multiple issues... could be a lamp that has an internal short, a wire associated with tail lights / turn signals that is shorting to chassis or pinched somewhere. I'm suprised that this condition has not blown a fuse. I would certainly not leave the bad side active for more than a split second, otherwise you are going to have a major meltdown or possible fire at that current draw amount !!
I would start by removing all lamps on the bad side front, rear, sides basically anything that's associated with turn signals and see if problem clears. If not, you got a wiring problem or possible issue in turn signal switch or wiring in steering column. My 2 cents worth...
Thanks so much for this… So I spent the afternoon with a test light and heres what I’ve discovered so far:

My tail lamps (and front lamps, marker lights etc.) work as they should. My hazards work on all four corners (front and back)
My Passenger side REAR signal does not work… though every other corner does…

I crawled under the van (motorhome) and tried probing the wires with a test light (grounded). My drivers side lit up but not my passenger side… I guess I just have to keep moving backwards up to the cab and determine where the break is?

The steering column connectors were clean (though I will say its really weird to see both plugs being ‘male’ pins and no female receiver… how does that even work?

any other suggestions?

Hey everyone,

I’ve got this funky problem with my turn signals. One side flashes normal, other side flashes sporadically and recently started doing this… (see video)

That second sound is like a spring being wound up tight. This has to be one of those weird ground fault issues.

Have you checked all four flashers lights - the four corners of the car?

That second sound is like a spring being wound up tight. This has to be one of those weird ground fault issues.

Have you checked all four flashers lights - the four corners of the car?
All four flashers work that clock spring noise has disappeared, I’ve replaced all my ground straps to battery and positive leads (not saying that’s why)… the rear rail lamps were all connected with murrets or just taped together so I soldered them all and heat shrink tubing on everything.

Now it’s just a matter of figuring out why the one rear flasher won’t work

Auto Transport Service
Back