• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does the backward R stand for VIN fender tag

mbc0724

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
Can someone remind me what the backward letter "R" stands for on VIN fender tag number 2? This is a 72 Charger Rallye. There is nothing else on the second tag. Thanks.

Agree.

Can someone remind me what the backward letter "R" stands for on VIN fender tag number 2? This is a 72 Charger Rallye. There is nothing else on the second tag. Thanks.

I'm guessing you are looking at a Lynch Road tag. It means someone did their job, inspected something and punched the tag.

72_WP29_E68_D34_EW1_196563_LR.jpg

Here's the photo. And yes it is Lynch Road. did they do this more often there as opposed to the other plants?

vin102.JPG

Here is my '70 Charger fender tag with inspector "K" punch and the dimpled "stamp" or whatever its called next to the screw on the right.

St. Louis car.

IMG_20181117_163027 (9).jpg

....did they do this more often there as opposed to the other plants?
Just about every plant has its own variation of inspection stampings. Inspection stampings can change by year.

Some plants (Hamtramck & Jefferson) use a different tag as part of the inspection process, some stamp through the tag (St. Louis), some only emboss the tag (Lynch Road). There's a lot of variations out there. Yours is typical for that year and plant.

Auto Transport Service
Back