• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“Just testing the waters…”

Well, although I didn’t word it that way, it was a what is this worth thread that I posted, because I really didn’t know what it was worth. I know what the owner wants for it, but I wanted a realistic idea about what the car was, and whether his price is out of line or not. There’s always circumstances that aren’t published, in my case, this was his great grandfathers car, who bought it new, so sentimental value had to be part of the equation. That doesn’t equate to actual value though, so a WIW thread was really the only way for me to get an idea.

I understand the intent of the thread, but sometimes testing the waters generates an actual buyer, and may get someone off the fence on a car they are hoarding, but would actually sell. It’s much better than the “I’m going to fix it some day” pergatory that a lot of cars fall into!
That’s all fine and dandy as long as your sole intent isn’t to grease someone out of their life savings. I wouldn’t lump you into the “water tester” category.

I wouldn’t lump you into the “water tester” category.
How about this guy? :realcrazy:
EE9D778B-F776-4479-A171-05BC7B5D5307.jpeg

WIW is not as bad. Some of those are legitimate and if I had to sell a friends Ford I would have to educate myself on what it is worth.
Testing the waters though is just saying "I own this POS and I will only sell it to you if I can get more than what it's worth, also I'm pretty flaky".

I say let these people post whatever they think its worth. If it sells....good for them. If it doesn't, then they..and they alone, have to decide whether to keep the car or lower the price until they get a bite. All this pussy footing around is a waste of time.

Auto Transport Service
Back