• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Funny Car Revisted

Mike Gaines

Local time
12:30 PM
Reaction score
20110624_71.jpgHere is a pix from 1967 (48 years ago) where I am getting ready for a pass in my Funny Car....just had to slip on my face mask with Breathers (so I wouldn't gag on the Nitro Fumes) and put on my fireproof gloves.Ready to go.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, have you been active in drag racing and building all of this time or did you go dormant for a period of time. Anyway you are a real animal and I enjoy your posts as many others on this site! WOW!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::icon_pray::icon_pray::icon_pray::icon_pray::icon_pray::icon_pray::icon_pray::icon_pray::icon_pray::icon_pray::icon_pray:

Mike Gaines!
Awesome dude!
I'm in AWE!

You truly Drag Raced, and furthermore..."In the ERA"
It was all groundbreaking then!

PS: Was this car a Hemi powered car?

20110624_48.jpg
Mike Gaines!
Awesome dude!
I'm in AWE!

You truly Drag Raced, and furthermore..."In the ERA"
It was all groundbreaking then!

PS: Was this car a Hemi powered car?

Answers:
I lived in central Illinois and raced primarily in central and southern Illinois, St Lous area and Indianapolis Area.
I sold the car in 1969 (when I moved to California) to a guy in Burlington Vermont, never seen or heard about again.
I raced from 1963 (with my brand new 63 Plymouth Max Wedge aluminum nosed car) thru 1968. Built the Funny car in 1966.
My Funny car was, I believe, the GRANDFATHER of ALL WEDGE EFFORTS. The motor in the Funny Car was out of my Max Wedge.
It was a Stage III Max Wedge. I installed a Crane Roller Cam, Vertex Magneto and the Hilborn Fuel Injection running 80% Nitro and 20% Alcohol. Torquefilte Trans with 8 3/4 rear end with 4.88 gears. Car weighed 2400lbs.
I owned the Max Wedge Motor and could not afford to buy a new HEMI motor for the car....so I made the most out of my Wedge Motor. I think I was probably the ONLY guy in the country running a WEDGE powered Mopar Funny Car....but its what I had. I could NEVER outrun a similiar build Hemi (with him running Hilborns on Nitro also)...but I did regulary beat the Pontiac and Chevy Match Race Funny Cars.
I was NOT drag racing from 1968 until the Fall of 2014 when I bought my current 1966 Dodge Coronet Pro Street Car.
I raced it pretty much like I bought it during the last few months of 2014 running a best of 11.85 @ 112MPH.
I built the 505" stroker motor in Oct of 2015 and just got to the track once during the late fall of 2015. All ready for a full schedule of racing for 2016 starting the with MARCH MEET at Famoso (Bakersfield, Ca) and the Mopar Nationals (Mopars at the Strip, Las Vegas,NV) the end of March.
I now have a genuine 10.70 car and I am going to relive drag racing all over again.

Cool car from a great era...

do you have any photos of other cars, yours or anyone's...LOL from the era,
you haven't already shared with us

Budnicks Likey :headbang:

Ya hear the tower burned up at Famoso? They are doing their best to have something together for the March Meet. Hope it all works out...

Mike please share me info with us on the alum nosed car......early mid 60's racing before the Hemi's ruled is very cool time in Mopars history! :headbang:

Ya hear the tower burned up at Famoso? They are doing their best to have something together for the March Meet. Hope it all works out...

Yeah I saw that a couple days ago too, on dragnews {?} sucks,
I hope they get it all going in time for the March Meet at-least...

Auto Transport Service
Back