• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 1967 HP 440 Engine Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

I need a date code correct engine block for a 1967 GTX. This is for a neat car that has most of its original parts except for the engine.

Car was built 08 June 1967, so ideal would be a block cast in April or May of 1967. However, any 440 block with a cast date of December 1966 - May 1967 would be acceptable.

Also, I can trade a 67 440 HP block with date code 10 19 66 if needed.

Thanks for the consideration!

Hawk

Last edited:
I found one out of a 67 GTX about a year ago. The guy that had it wanted to sell then decided to maybe use it. I will see if he still has it and what his plans are.

I found one out of a 67 GTX about a year ago. The guy that had it wanted to sell then decided to maybe use it. I will see if he still has it and what his plans are.
Awesome - much appreciated!!!

... and can trade a 67 440 block with date code 10 19 66 if needed.

Thanks,

Hawk

Awesome - much appreciated!!!

... and can trade a 67 440 block with date code 10 19 66 if needed.

Thanks,

Hawk
This is the complete engine that he took out of a GTX back in the 80s and stored in the back of his garage. Air cleaner, chrome covers etc still on it. Think the trans is there too.

This is the complete engine that he took out of a GTX back in the 80s and stored in the back of his garage. Air cleaner, chrome covers etc still on it. Think the trans is there too.
OK. Understood. Only thing needed is the block, but will obviously be interested in the entire engine if the dates are right. Again, I appreciate you checking!

Hawk

Where are you located?
I am in a place called Lansdale, PA it is North of Philadelphia. I also go up to Bloomsburg, PA each week to help my father-in-law.

Having said that, I will travel for the right block!!!

Thanks,

Hawk

I don’t want to derail your WTB... but, what’s the build stamp on the one you have? I assume the 10/19/66 is the casting date?

I don’t want to derail your WTB... but, what’s the build stamp on the one you have? I assume the 10/19/66 is the casting date?

Yes, 10 19 66 is the casting date on the side of the block. I have to look up the build date on the pad - I don't remember and don't have pictures of it. It does have HP, just don't remember the date.

The block is at my father-in-law's so I won't be able to check and get back to you until probably Wednesday night or Thursday.

Hawk

Yes, 10 19 66 is the casting date on the side of the block. I have to look up the build date on the pad - I don't remember and don't have pictures of it. It does have HP, just don't remember the date.

The block is at my father-in-law's so I won't be able to check and get back to you until probably Wednesday night or Thursday.

Hawk
That the most important part and what you should be looking at. The cast date is less important compared to the stamped build date compared to your vehicle build date. Post that once you have it and we will be able to better assist. I have two 67 hp blocks and depending on what your stamp date is, might be willing to work with you on a swap. I’m south of you in NC.

That the most important part and what you should be looking at. The cast date is less important compared to the stamped build date compared to your vehicle build date. Post that once you have it and we will be able to better assist. I have two 67 hp blocks and depending on what your stamp date is, might be willing to work with you on a swap. I’m south of you in NC.

Awesome. Thank you. I will get that and post pictures ASAP.

What are the build dates of the ones you have. Either close to 08 June?

The time delay from October to June doesn’t seem out of line. Was something different in ‘67? I had a 361 block cast in early September ‘63, built on Mar 30 ‘64 and installed on April 1. At the same time have a 413 cast 11/11/63, built 12/11/63 and installed within days. These can vary a lot. There are ‘70 casting 440s that didn’t get built until ‘72. I too am very interested in hearing what the build date on this block is.

The time delay from October to June doesn’t seem out of line. Was something different in ‘67? I had a 361 block cast in early September ‘63, built on Mar 30 ‘64 and installed on April 1. At the same time have a 413 cast 11/11/63, built 12/11/63 and installed within days. These can vary a lot. There are ‘70 casting 440s that didn’t get built until ‘72. I too am very interested in hearing what the build date on this block is.

My understanding is "typical" was that the block was cast a couple of weeks before the engine was built, and engine built within a couple of weeks before the car was built. My 70 Road Runner was built 10/69, engine build date on the pad is October 9th, and the block was cast September 19th, so it falls into the "typical" category.

So again, "typical" was fairly tight, although I was told that "acceptable" is date coded within 6 months. I'd gladly listen to any opinions on this too.

Thanks,

Hawk

Hi,

I need a date code correct engine block for a 1967 GTX. This is for a neat car that has most of its original parts except for the engine.

Car was built 08 June 1967, so ideal would be a block cast in April or May of 1967. However, any 440 block with a cast date of December 1966 - May 1967 would be acceptable.

Also, I can trade a 67 440 HP block with date code 10 19 66 if needed.

Thanks for the consideration!

Hawk
To bad you are so far away, there are a few up here, but the cost of shipping would be prohibitive. You didn’t mention if you wanted an HP block.

For the heck of it I just went to the garage to check my spare 440. Cast 5/14/69 built 11/3/69.

OK. Understood. Only thing needed is the block, but will obviously be interested in the entire engine if the dates are right. Again, I appreciate you checking!

Hawk
I would take up Paul's offer to help. The engine I mentioned to you is in Minnesota.

To bad you are so far away, there are a few up here, but the cost of shipping would be prohibitive. You didn’t mention if you wanted an HP block.
Thanks for the question. Yes, I would like it to be a HP block, since this is what a 67 GTX would have had.

I wouldn’t fuss over the HP too much, get the date you want. HP can come in a day from McMaster Carr. https://www.mcmaster.com/1570T5-1570T726/
I don't know about that. To me that's kind of like trying to alter vin numbers. If you shouldn't fuss too much about the HP, then you shouldn't worry if it is an HP block, but getting a non HP block and stamping it HP with the sole purpose to pass it off as an HP block just seems wrong to me.

I don't know about that. To me that's kind of like trying to alter vin numbers. If you shouldn't fuss too much about the HP, then you shouldn't worry if it is an HP block, but getting a non HP block and stamping it HP with the sole purpose to pass it off as an HP block just seems wrong to me.
The blocks are identical in every way so there’s no cheating there. If you’re going through the effort to get proper dates etc you’re already passing it off as original-ish at the least. Why wouldn’t you just stamp the darn thing rather than drive an extra hundred miles to get a block that someone else already did the same thing to? Sure that someone else may have been a guy at the factory and it may have been someone else in the intervening 50+ years. You’ll never know because there’s no difference.

I thoroughly agree in regards to actual VIN numbers etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back