• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 gtx trunk finish panel

gford

Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
hi looking for input on argent paint is it dark med or light
thanks bill

@MarPar

Mario help this fine gent out.....To the OP Mario has recently restored one beautifully.....He will chime in after eating some Chicago pizza probably...

It’s a lighter argent. I thought this stuff was near impossible to get thus very difficult to get those panels restored to original. If Mario has an Italian connection I’d also like to know who it is - actually I could care less what ethnicity they are - I’d just like to get mine restored too. My connection passed away a few years ago.

It’s a lighter argent. I thought this stuff was near impossible to get thus very difficult to get those panels restored to original. If Mario has an Italian connection I’d also like to know who it is - actually I could care less what ethnicity they are - I’d just like to get mine restored too. My connection passed away a few years ago.
I hooked Mario up with a guy that supplies the correct paint......

Shoot me a Pm.......and I will get you his info

make sure the tail light bezels match the rear panel ….. they are a set

In case anyone is interested. I have a Sport Satellite trunk panel , and the tail light bezels without the lenses. Those bezels ARE different than Roadrunner. IIRC they are in pretty good condition, driver quality.......................MO

In case anyone is interested. I have a Sport Satellite trunk panel , and the tail light bezels without the lenses. Those bezels ARE different than Roadrunner. IIRC they are in pretty good condition, driver quality.......................MO
Yep. GTX and Sport Satellite are the same in '68, RoadRunner is different.

thanks for info I had mine re-chromed now going to try painting it

Original Panel:
1968-plymouth-GTX-Trunk-Finish-Panel-_57.jpg

Mine now:
profilepic.jpg

I think Bob got it right. :)

Thanks Justin @moparnation74. I restored mine myself. It was PITA with all the taping and whatnot. It's dark argent and a dark red decal for the stripes. I purchased the panel from a member here and it was already re-chromed. Ill post pics later as I do not have them on my laptop.

Aren't the badges removable and interchangeable?...........................MO
I don’t believe so Mo - mine looks like it’s part of the panel. However I haven't had the panel off so I don’t honestly know. It would make sense that they were interchangeable accept the argent paint wouldn’t line up correctly from a Satellite to a GTX badge.

The emblem looks to be welded on from the back. There are two prongs that go thru the holes and then it looks like there is a dab of weld on the ends of the prongs.

yes I think it is welded or peened

I don’t believe so Mo - mine looks like it’s part of the panel. However I haven't had the panel off so I don’t honestly know. It would make sense that they were interchangeable accept the argent paint wouldn’t line up correctly from a Satellite to a GTX badge.
The GTX emblem is indeed a separate piece. They do reproduce them.

Regarding the "shade" of the argent paint, I know several have used the darker argent when restoring their panels.
However, after a LOT of research (including pictures of original, untouched panels like the one I posted above), I came to the same conclusion as some professional shops who have restored these - namely, the lighter argent is correct.
When Bob came up with some leftover, original Chrysler paint in an old can in the back of his shop, he asked me if I wanted him to try and make it usable for my panel - at the risk of delaying things if it turned out badly.
My answer, of course, was "absolutely!"
He nailed it, first try. :)
My "edges" that were originally chrome were not rechromed, however.
He did what he could with those in lieu of that and it turned out just fine.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back