• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Coronet 904 trans not kicking down

Neilbert

Local time
8:22 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

My 69 Coronet did not have the kick down linkage connected for a very long time and i connected it and the trans does not kick down into passing gear and shifts very quickly past 2nd gear into 3rd gear. Do you think the transmission was damaged for being driven that many miles without the kick down or is it as simple as adjusting the kick down band?

Thanks

Is the linkage correct for the application and is it adjusted properly?

Couple things.. Early soft shifts could be a damaged clutch pack or it could just be the adjustment of the linkage needs to be a little longer... The longer you make the upper link the later & the firmer the shift will be...

Second being a 69 you won't have the part throttle kickdown, it will shift through the gears from a dead stop & at wide open throttle assuming the kickdown adjustment isn't to short... But once it's in drive it's not gonna downshift unless you bury the throttle... Adding a part throttle kickdown valve to the valve body is pretty easy & will make the car feel much peppier..

Adding a part throttle kickdown valve to the valve body is pretty easy & will make the car feel much peppier..
I believe(I think) part throttle kickdown started in 1972.If the trans needs rebuilt ( after all else fails adjustment wise)now would be the time for a up grade.

The linkage has to fully depress the throttle valve at wide open throttle, and just touch the tip at idle, this relationship has to be correct. If the transmission was driven for an extended time without the kickdown hooked up, yes, the trans could have been damaged. The throttle valve raises line pressure to hold the clutches tighter under load. Line pressure is almost double at WOT compared to idle.

Auto Transport Service
Back