• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Charger front bumper removal tips

mbc0724

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:17 PM
Reaction score
Good morning: I am replacing my front bumper on a 71 Charger. Looks like a few of the attachment points for the bumper are so far to the right or left that I might have to remove the fender to access them? That does not seem right to me. I am probably missing something here. Can anyone who has removed/replaced one of these bumpers give me some guidance as to how to proceed? Do I have to loosen or remove the fender?

Thanks!

You don't have to remove the fenders.
1711823886247.png

Last edited:
Remove it as a complete assembly. If you have hidden headlights disconnect the wiring. Support the front center with a floor jack. Remove the two round fender to bumper brackets. Loosen the bumper bolts to the frame rail and pull the bumper assembly forward to clear the rebound bumpers. Remove the front bumper to frame bolts and lower it slightly to balance it. Remove the rear bolts and pull it forward on the jack. It will take some maneuvering to get it out. It can be done with the valance on but it's easier if it's off.

IMG_1662.jpg

You can access every bolt to get the bumper off. I usually drop the valance out just to have better access and get it out of the way of being scratched. That's just another 10 bolts or so.

Much appreciated to each of you.

Also there are two side support brackets pictured above that I did not mention.

Agree with above. Helps to have a second pair of hands and eyes, but I have done it alone.

Auto Transport Service
Back