• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD 1971 GTX 4-spd

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyredSavoy

Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
SOLS SOLD For sale or possible trades, is my 1971 GTX. It is one of 327 U-code 4-speeds made and one of the 30 J68 rear window louver cars made. I’m the third owner, the first owner had the car from August 1970 until September 2012. Owner number two, only had it long enough to paint every square inch black (murdered out look) and bring to the Spring Fling to sell it in 2013 where I bought it and had it shipped to NY.
I drove it for one summer and then after seeing how many of the original parts were still present and very solid overall condition, I decided to take it all apart and have the body and paint done. The car is done to a high end driver level. Not an all out showcar. I’ve driven it on a few 3-400 mile weekend outings and put a little over 2,000 miles on it, trouble free.
The GTX was built early September 1970 at the Los Angeles plant and since it lived there for the next 42 years, it had no real rust issues. The floors are perfect, as is the cowl/firewall, fenders, , trunklid, doors, etc. There were small patches installed in the lower qtrs in front of and behind the wheels down low. The trunk extensions are the originals. The paint is DuPont Chromabase ($440.00 per gallon) with matching clear coat and all the body and paint work was performed by SuperCar Restorations in Wellsville, NY. The paint looks and shows very well. The GTX only V7X pinstripes were professionally done to the factory blueprint and hand painted as original. The front and rear bumpers were rechromed by TriCity Bumpers. The only non-original body panel is the AMD dual cutout Rear valance. Since this was a California car, it came with turndowns, but there was no way i was going to reinstall those and miss out on the machine gun tips. The louvers were missing, so I bought a set of excellent reproductions made by Dayclona.
The engine is the numbers matching original. It was rebuilt while in the original owners possession and runs very well. There is a Bob K (Mr six pack) camshaft installed, so it idles smoothly and the power brakes work great. It has the correct Carter 4967S AVS carburetor that has been rebuilt/restored by Scott Smith at Harms. It still has the original idle solenoid. A correctly dated "172" alternator was purchased and then restored by Jim Ridge at Dixie Restorations. The correct 1971 only dual snorkel air cleaner was stripped and powder coated with the black wrinkle finish. Correct HP exhaust manifolds with the heat shroud are in place. All the hoses and spark plug wires are reproductions with date codes and correct part numbers. The power steering pump was rebuilt and still retains the original cooler. It was missing the correct radiator when I bought the car, so I found a 3443959 core and had it rebuilt.
The booster is NOS and the correct 187 master cylinder was stainless sleeved and rebuilt my Brake and Equipment Warehouse in MN. The correct two speed wiper motor was rebuilt/restored by NS1AAR. It has a new Group 27 reproduction battery by TurboStart.
The exhaust system is from Accurate Exhaust. There is a new Spectra Premium gas tank and all new Fine Lines brake and fuel lines.
The numbers matching 18 spline “Hemi” four speed has been rebuilt and detailed. There is a new Hays steel 130 tooth flywheel and new McLeod clutch assembly. Shifts great!
The original driveshaft was balanced and new U-joints were installed, the shaft is free of pitting and the part number and date code are crystal clear. The original owner had the original 4.10 gears swapped out for 3.54s. The Dana was stripped/primed/painted using all PPG products. New seals and axle bearing have been installed. The original wheel cylinders were rebuilt using NOS Mopar kits. The front suspension has all new bushings and bearings as well. The original ‘70 (early ‘71) hard to find calipers were still present and rebuilt. NOS brake pads were used.
The interior: new Legendary rear seat covers, Legendary rear upper door panels, recovered dashpad, the dash bezel and the bezel that goes above the glovebox, were sent to Gcar for new chrome and wood grain finish. The gauges were redone by Redline Gauges in California. The heater control panel was restored by Instrument Specialties with polished lens and re-chromed levers. Every wiring harness from to rear is brand new M&H Wiring. New ACC carpet set. Heater box completely restored and rebuilt with gasket and seal kit, along with re-cored original heater core and new temp control cables. I bought a correct AM/FM and had Wards restore it and added an MP3 outlet (original Am comes with car). The front seat covers and front upper door panels are the originals and are near perfect, up to the next owner if they want them freshened up... New Legendary headliner and insulation. The seat belts were restored by Bill Edwards.

The stainless moldings were re-polished. The drip rail moldings are NOS. The GTX rocker moldings are present. All NOS locks and keys. All new weatherstripping. Lots of misc NOS parts were used during the restoration.

All five of the wheels are the ones the car was born with. It still has all four of the 2944390 15x7 ralley wheels and the ultra rare 2944450 steel wheel spare. The spare tire has never touched the ground and has all the ink stamps present and little “tits”. Four new reproduction G60-15 Polyglas GT tires are on all four corners. The original to the car jack assembly has been restored and a new correct as possible reproduction trunk mat is in place.

All of the latches, hood, door and trunk, were rebuilt and correctly re-plated by the best.

The GTX was delivered with the following: base 440 4bbl 370hp engine, 4-spd manual transmission, Super Track Pak 4.10 Dana 60, PDB, PS, tachometer, Tuff steering wheel, 15” ralleys, am radio, full undercoating with hood pad and the window louvers. The only added options are hoodpins, am/fm radio and the aforementioned exhaust tips.

It’s not a perfect car, but much nicer than many.

I have the original window sticker, Broadcast Sheet (not common on LA built cars), and dealer paperwork, along with the original fender tag for documentation.

The price is $46k. SOLD SOLD

THANKS FOR THE AD

I do not need to sell it. I’m just ready to move on to the next one. Trades I’d be interested in? 1970 Roadrunner, 1968-71 Charger RT, 1970 ‘Cuda, 4-speed cars only. Trades up-down.

Last edited:
More pics to follow

A037E135-48A6-4278-A6CE-260AF4A0710A.jpeg 4073901D-004F-41B8-8033-9B2405FDE0E1.jpeg A1E84637-F8CB-41DA-94E9-5EE7D34CFE88.jpeg 96185C59-5236-4170-9F02-3C49CAE13628.jpeg

Engine and front suspension. No fake paint finishes. Parts soaked in Evaporust, then cosmoline or ECS RPM coatings. Rear leaf springs done same way with new bushings and rebuild kit.

D6089F5A-0C99-4E76-9765-DDA753CDFDB4.jpeg 200B00A4-270E-40EA-8DAC-7A17FC3EF945.jpeg E4A658E9-8390-4457-B4FC-E74B20CDFD58.jpeg

Beautiful car, Am I seeing the fender tag right in regards to the exterior color of GY3? Maybe it's GW3, don't have my reading glasses at work and the picture seems blurry...getting older sux

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back