• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 RR V-Code 8/24 Deadwood SD not mine, is it real?

sam dupont

Local time
10:03 PM
Reaction score
Buyer beware with this auctioneer. I do not trust or respect him and only post this as it could be one of two cars. I will be within 15 miles of Deadwood on Friday if anybody wants photos or something.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 11.35.47 AM.png

It should have “GTX” emblems on the lower front of the fenders in front of the door, and also on the trunk lid. There are 5 V code 72’s supposedly out there. All of them would be a very early build.

Since it doesn’t say original, it might not have been a 440 car.

I heard there are only two Road Runner GTX cars and two rallye Chargers that were actually V code 72 Sixpack/Six Barrel cars built in 72. The known 72 Plymouth is a sunroof automatic car, and there was a 4 speed magazine test car as well. Both Chargers were automatic cars one red one yellow.

Where does it say this is a V code? Lots of 440 Six Packs out there that were hot rods, and not from the factory.

Nothing in the linked ad says it's a real "V-code"....

"440 PHIXX" tree'd me!
And with the limited info and pics and that chrome brake booster, I'm gonna go with 'No it's not a real V-code'...

I heard there are only two Road Runner GTX cars and two rallye Chargers that were actually V code 72 Sixpack/Six Barrel cars built in 72. The known 72 Plymouth is a sunroof automatic car, and there was a 4 speed magazine test car as well. Both Chargers were automatic cars one red one yellow.
I heard 3 Charger Rallye’s, and 2 road runner GTX’s. But who knows…

I heard 3 Charger Rallye’s, and 2 road runner GTX’s. But who knows…
Ford Australia has the same problem.....the early 70's built GT Falcons have increased in numbers over the years.

There is at least ten times more of them around now than the factory ever built. :rolleyes:

No fender tag info or a complete VIN listed anywhere in the ad. This would have to be a VERY low VIN, and perhaps a "PILOT CAR" data tag, as well. The reason so few '72 Six-Pac/Six-Barrel cars were produced was the EPA rules set for the 1972MY - these alleged would not pass EPA standards in force at that time. We've all probably heard rumors of the complete +6 induction set-ups shipped in the trunks for dealer installation, with the cars built as four-barrels off the production line.

No fender tag info or a complete VIN listed anywhere in the ad. This would have to be a VERY low VIN, and perhaps a "PILOT CAR" data tag, as well. The reason so few '72 Six-Pac/Six-Barrel cars were produced was the EPA rules set for the 1972MY - these alleged would not pass EPA standards in force at that time. We've all probably heard rumors of the complete +6 induction set-ups shipped in the trunks for dealer installation, with the cars built as four-barrels off the production line.
Exactly. And for years people were under the impression that only the ‘70-‘71 Six Packs had the “Six Pack” rods, and not that every HP stamped 440 got them and the external balance. I blame those Direct Connection manuals. A lot of blatantly wrong information in them. Thin wall ‘76-‘78 440’s?

It wouldn’t surprise me if there were more than 5.

So far the 72 Road Runner GTX red sunroof automatic car is the only known documented 72 V code Plymouth. I believe that car is now part of the Brothers collection. The red and yellow 72 Charger rallye cars are the only known documented V code Dodge cars. The other 4 speed 72 V code Road Runner GTX car that was featured in the magazine has never surfaced.

Last edited:
So far the 71 Road Runner GTX red sunroof automatic car is the only known documented 72 V code Plymouth. I believe that car is now part of the Brothers collection. The red and yellow 72 Charger rallye cars are the only known documented V code Dodge cars. The other 4 speed 72 V code Road Runner GTX car that was featured in the magazine has never surfaced.
They could be out there. I called Arizona DMV to get a title or registration for my ‘68 Plymouth and they told me they don’t have any records for cars that haven’t been registered in over 5 years. Same with my two V code cars. They haven’t been registered in Pa. since the early 90’s. PennDOT told me if I lose the titles, they will not give me a registration. I know of a couple rare muscle cars that have been mothballed since the 80’s. However… I don’t buy that. If any of those cars were to be used in criminal activity, and left there… I think the documentation would magically appear.

It is very possible that there might be more of them out there,you can never say never with Mopar, but the ones I listed are the only known examples of them up to this date. I saw a 72 Challenger convertible that wasn't supposed to exist either,the VIN read JH27G2B100xxx. I can't remember the last three digits but it was a very low numbered pilot car.

I agree about the records existing even when they say they do not. I friend of mine is trying to get registration for an old truck that has been off the road for decades, he sent a letter to the provincial insurance corporation and they were able to give him the name and address of the last registered owner from 1977!

Someday mabey I will see my old 71 come up .
20230824_125218.jpg
20200127_191919.jpg

Some time during the restoration, someone would learn the significance of the V and it would be noted. The auctioneers are too lazy to be curious. Two hours to sale time and the website is still dead. He told me posting at the last minute inspires impulse bidding. Why not just be honest and take what an item brings instead of trying to trick people?
Here are some items selling less than two hours from now. I'm betting the first one is a "Gulf", not golf.

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 1.17.55 PM.png

Some time during the restoration, someone would learn the significance of the V and it would be noted. The auctioneers are too lazy to be curious. Two hours to sale time and the website is still dead. He told me posting at the last minute inspires impulse bidding. Why not just be honest and take what an item brings instead of trying to trick people?
Here are some items selling less than two hours from now. I'm betting the first one is a "Gulf", not golf.

View attachment 1514736
Check out that spelling..... atrocious from an Auctioneer trying to sell stuff. :lol:

Porcelain
Station

I know I'm hard on these guys, but ... When they have things this screwed up, they postpone for a week, but Cool Deadwood Nights will go on in spite of the auction. They claim to have a 2023 Ghost. I've gone to these, but only if I'm nearby.

Edit: The signs look pretty good, but I am no expert as they cost too much at the auctions. There are too many collectors to buy one with room left for profit. There are photos of all of them now. If you can't live without a sign, I will pick up for gas money and any donation to St Judes. Using bicycle boxes and styrofoam, it's not so hard.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back