• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973-1974 Door Glass hardware

73ChargerRallye

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Updating this post since it covers background on my project instead of going straight to the question :)

It looks like the guide rollers for the 1973-1974 models are pressed/squashed/mushroomed onto the window regulators during manufacture, and that they aren't serviceable. I ordered a kit from MrMoparts.com that includes replacement guide rollers for my 1973 window regulators, and I'd like to replace them, but I didn't want to make assumptions before jumping in with an angle grinder and making permanent changes that can't be reversed.

The replacement roller guides (see second picture below) have a stud that is 0.188", and the existing ones are bigger (vary from 0.230 to 0.250, see first picture), which is why I assume they've been "smashed" to retain them on the regulators as part of the manufacturing process. Can I safely remove these and replace them with the new ones? Does anybody have any experience or advice on this? I don't want to put my car back together with 50+ year old, heat-baked nylon guides, if I can avoid it.

Third picture is the project - factory FE5/340/auto car, been off the road since mid 90's, and long overdue to get back in action :)

20240108_120644.jpg

20240108_120622.jpg

20231202_234223.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

Updating this post since it covers background on my project instead of going straight to the question :)

It looks like the guide rollers for the 1973-1974 models are pressed/squashed/mushroomed onto the window regulators during manufacture, and that they aren't serviceable. I ordered a kit from MrMoparts.com that includes replacement guide rollers for my 1973 window regulators, and I'd like to replace them, but I didn't want to make assumptions before jumping in with an angle grinder and making permanent changes that can't be reversed.

The replacement roller guides (see second picture below) have a stud that is 0.188", and the existing ones are bigger (vary from 0.230 to 0.250, see first picture), which is why I assume they've been "smashed" to retain them on the regulators as part of the manufacturing process. Can I safely remove these and replace them with the new ones? Does anybody have any experience or advice on this? I don't want to put my car back together with 50+ year old, heat-baked nylon guides, if I can avoid it.

Third picture is the project - factory FE5/340/auto car, been off the road since mid 90's, and long overdue to get back in action :)

View attachment 1587171

View attachment 1587172

View attachment 1587173

Hello all - updating this post for anyone looking at doing this.

I ground off one of.the studs on an old, rusty regulator to confirm that the original studs are 0.188". This confirmed that the solution is to grind off the old studs, and that the replacements will fit in the holes.

Next step is to make a fixture for peening the new studs without damaging the new rollers.

Auto Transport Service
Back