• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 roadrunner power steering problem

b_body_hopeful

Local time
10:20 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1973 roadrunner with a 400 cu in motor and a Saginaw power steering pump.
When I try to turn to the right it is very hard until I get going. When I back up,
it is very hard to turn to the right and then it gets hard to turn the wheel back and try to straighten out.

Changed out ps pump then the gear box but neither helped. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.....Dennis

Usually steering hard one way is a gearbox. A weak pump I would think would steer poorly both ways? Two gearboxes w the same issue perhaps? How does it steer with the car jacked up?

Well, I put the car on a lift off the ground and started the car. The steering wheel turned to the right all by itself.
Then I brought it down and changed the position of the control valve on top by moving it all the way to the back. put it up, started the car
and it still moved by itself to the right. Brought it down and pushed the valve all the way to the front. Guess what, yep turned to the right by itself.
Took the control valve off, cleaned it and put new o-rings in. Put it back on and no change........
Is it time to purchase another gearbox?

Doesn't sound good..Unless someone has a procedure to try thats different then what you tried?..it's likely time for another one. Could try just switching the valve on top.

Last edited:
The supplier to your source for the pumps and boxes may be the problem. There are few true rebuilders, most will be a splash of paint and replace a seal or two. Lifetime warranties don't mean poo when you have to keep swapping the item out. Add to that if you are paying to get it done, many times the labor does not get reimbursed, adding to the insult.
Firm Feel, Steer and Gear, Redhead are known TRUE rebuilders who put out a quality part. There may be others, but I know of those three. If you are so inclined to do the Borgeson swap, contact Peter from BAC[ one of our sponsors over on the right hand column of your screen]. He will get you ALL OF THE ITEMS needed to do the swap.

This is good info. Thanks for the post. I will look into all these companies and purchase a gearbox from one of them..Thanks again.

Auto Transport Service
Back