• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Dodge Coronet project

1969 Dodge Coronet

Local time
10:38 AM
Reaction score
Hi all. I am currently working on a low mile 1974 Dodge Cornet 4-door sedan. It was somebody's mom's car and it has a grocery getter 318 V-8 and Torqueflite powertrain. It also has air conditioning, power brakes, and power steering though.

I'm doing some maintenance of the car and found a couple of dead bulbs in the tail-light assembly. I got the lens off easily enough, but when I went to take out the dead bulbs I noticed that they had significant corrosion on the bases. Of course the globes twisted right off when I tried to remove them. I have squirted some WD-40 down in between the base of the bulb and the bulb socket and tried turning the bulb base with a stubbly screwdriver but so far they haven't moved. Has anyone have a better suggestion as to what I might try to get the bulb bases out?
1974 Dodge Coronet Frt -b.jpg1974 Dodge Coronet Rear b.JPGTail-light redu.jpgTail-light redu-b.jpgTail-light redu-c.jpg

If you can get needle nose in there, pinch the end of the old bulb together (metal) then turn and pull out.

Yeah, needle nose or snap ring pliers, either one, if you have access, if not, try using a very small potato or cut one that you can push down in the socket and it may just twist right out.

I haven't seen too many 74 Coronets, cool car, had the same problem with my tail light bulbs, same as previously suggested, needle nose pliers, get in there, get a hold of an edge, twist it towards the center of where the bulb was, push down and twist out, usually works every time.

Thanks for the replies. I managed to get the bulb bases out eventually but the sockets are pretty rusty and I'm thinking it would be wise to start looking for a replacement tail lamp housing. Has anyone got an idea where I might source one (both left and right side)? It doesn't help that it is an unpopular car not seen much now but surely there must be some decent ones with good unrusted bulb sockets left in some Southwestern boneyard?

Standard 1157 and 1156 replacement sockets can still be had with a pigtail at most auto parts stores

Wow you never see 74 Coronets around anymore. I love the grill from that year they were unique. Like the others have already said, tail light sockets are easy to fix.

Standard 1157 and 1156 replacement sockets can still be had with a pigtail at most auto parts stores

Now that's an idea. I'll look into that. It sounds as if it would be a lot simpler than trying to find a complete housing.

Looks like you have some good advice and this will be a fun car! Really nice shape and looks great!

Wow you never see 74 Coronets around anymore. I love the grill from that year they were unique. Like the others have already said, tail light sockets are easy to fix.

Yeah, I like the front grille too. :pumping heart::icon_thumright: I'm not sold on the rear but it is what it is.1974 was the first year the car companies had to put 5 mph bumpers on their cars and some companies did a better job than others.

Hi all. I am currently working on a low mile 1974 Dodge Cornet 4-door sedan. It was somebody's mom's car and it has a grocery getter 318 V-8 and Torqueflite powertrain. It also has air conditioning, power brakes, and power steering though.

I'm doing some maintenance of the car and found a couple of dead bulbs in the tail-light assembly. I got the lens off easily enough, but when I went to take out the dead bulbs I noticed that they had significant corrosion on the bases. Of course the globes twisted right off when I tried to remove them. I have squirted some WD-40 down in between the base of the bulb and the bulb socket and tried turning the bulb base with a stubbly screwdriver but so far they haven't moved. Has anyone have a better suggestion as to what I might try to get the bulb bases out?
View attachment 186457View attachment 186458View attachment 186459View attachment 186460View attachment 186461

this car for sale please send me email:[email protected]

Auto Transport Service
Back