• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Dodge Magnum 360-727 torqueflite squeaking in R,D,2,1

Diesel01

Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a mint 79 Magnum. When I was checking it over, I found the transmission fluid 1.5qt overfilled. The transmission seemed to work and shift fine but I know overfilling is a bad thing so I sucked out the level until full. Thats how I know how overfilled it was.

Over the weekend I was backing it out of the garage and it started making what sounds like a squeaky belt noise. It does it in all gears except Park and Neutral idling with the brake on. It doesnt seem to affect the operation or shifting. I dont hear this squealing while driving just idling.

I changed the fluid and filter but didnt see anything our of the ordinary. Hoping changing the fluid/filter would fix it but it is still squeaking. I filled it with ATF-4. It took 3.5 quarts.

Is this the torque converter?

Seized front U-joint bearing? That would make a squeak when moving. If it was torque convertor, I think it would make the noise in neutal and drive as well.

No. The car is not moving just with my foot on the brake and in D or R. I dont seem to hear it when I am moving. Just when stopped in gear.

First, let's get the events straight,
You drove this for a while with no offending noises?
You checked the fluid level properly- car level, engine warm, at idle, in neutral?
Or did you check with the engine off!
It showed really high, and you removed 1 1/2 quarts.
The immediate result was a noise.
If the above is true, someone could have installed the wrong, or improperly modified dipstick and or tube.
The normal oil level is about 1/2 inch above the aluminum casting that the tube hole is in.
Keep us up to date on this, I'm intrigued.
I make no claim as to knowing anything, but I did stay at a Holliday Inn once.
More opinions will surely follow.

I've run mine down 1-1/2 quarts down many times.
It would maybe slip on shifts but never squeeked.
I don't think it's a fluid level thing causing it.

I might go with Post # 4; cracked flex plate. Driving in any gear puts stresses on the convertor that idling in neutral or park would not. A friend of mine had 2 ears crack on his. His torque convertor was no longer "true" in the pump bushing, and ate up the bushing and convertor neck. The torque convertor seal could no longer take all this out-of-true motion, and started to leak a lot. We pulled the transmission to change the seal, and found all the other damage. I would not drive it too much without finding out what is going on.

I vote for cracked flexplate also.

tn_Cracked-Flex-plate-9-2-2019.jpg

First, let's get the events straight,
You drove this for a while with no offending noises?
You checked the fluid level properly- car level, engine warm, at idle, in neutral?
Or did you check with the engine off!
It showed really high, and you removed 1 1/2 quarts.
The immediate result was a noise.
If the above is true, someone could have installed the wrong, or improperly modified dipstick and or tube.
The normal oil level is about 1/2 inch above the aluminum casting that the tube hole is in.
Keep us up to date on this, I'm intrigued.
I make no claim as to knowing anything, but I did stay at a Holliday Inn once.
More opinions will surely follow.
The back trans mount was moist with fluid. So I checked the fluid engine warm, level, ran through the gears ending at neutral with it running. I found it overfilled and sucked it out via the dipstick tube.

It was a couple drives before I got the squeaking noises.

Is there an inspection plate I can see the flex plate mounts? I have a flex camera
There's an inspection cover. Remove it. You'll have to turn the flywheel/converter to see each bolt. Use a open end wrench on the torque converter bolt to turn it to the next one or a socket on the front damper bolt.

All above are good thoughts, except, the problem was first found after draining the 1 1/2 quarts, according to my reading of the original post. How would that crack the flex plate, and suddenly, it seemed, to cause the squeak? It did not squeak before the draining.
The OP holds the key by providing more detailed information.

Is there an inspection plate I can see the flex plate mounts? I have a flex camera
By 1979, Chrysler no longer had an inspection plate. My '79 300 with E58 360-4V and 727 Torqueflite does not have the inspection plate. I'm the original owner.

I don't know when they stopped having the inspection plate on the small blocks.

All above are good thoughts, except, the problem was first found after draining the 1 1/2 quarts, according to my reading of the original post. How would that crack the flex plate, and suddenly, it seemed, to cause the squeak? It did not squeak before the draining.
The OP holds the key by providing more detailed information.
The "noise" was not immediate. It was a couple rides in the car before the "noise" started. I say it was overfilled because the rear trans mount was all wet with fluid. Thats what prompted me to check it. Maybe they overfilled it to dampen the noise. I will check if I have an inspection plate and check the flexplate mounts.

All of them have a dust or gravel shield. The inspection cover was a small piece at the bottom of the dust cover to allow access to the converter drain plug 68-74 or so.

Is this an occilating noise? Like squeek, squeek, squeek, etc? Or is it a constant squeal? I've had crank seals constantly squeel. A 3 foot of vacuum hose held to your ear will help pinpoint the location precisely.
Doug

Is this an occilating noise? Like squeek, squeek, squeek, etc? Or is it a constant squeal? I've had crank seals constantly squeel. A 3 foot of vacuum hose held to your ear will help pinpoint the location precisely.
Doug
It sounds like a squeaky fan belt but it is not.

I dont know if it is an "inspection" cover but there is a cover that is on the bottom of the trans bellhousing. It is not easy as I have to remove the starter to get it off. There are 6 bolts

Another clue, we got in the 50s last night so low 60s in the garage. When I first started it and put it in gear, no noise. When it warmed up about 5 minutes idling, the noise appeared faintly.

Once the car cools down I will continue. Thought it was easier.

IMG_0894.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back