• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2006 300c awd camshaft and lifter failure in a 5.7 hemi

anthony69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:03 AM
Reaction score
I know this isn't the forum for this. I have 2006 300c awd, I replace the orginal motor because of engine failure at 138,000 mile and replaced it with a new mopar engine in 2017. The new engine now has a bad lifter or lifters tick. The warranty has expired a month ago. Is there any engine shops in the New York area that anyone knows that do good work. I will bring it to them if not to far away. Im always going to upstate ny because own a house in delaware county. The original shop wont do the camshaft or lifter replacement.

Thanks Anthony

It’s about 4-5 hour job, not difficult at all. Parts needed is......
1. HG’s
2. Cam/lifters
3. Cam/lifter lube (assembly lube)
4. Distilled water
5. Coolant
6. Oil/filter
7. Headbolt set
It’s more time consuming than anything. If you’ve never done it before, give yourself 3 days. Otherwise for someone like me, 4-5 hours.

Gotcha, I don’t know if any as I live in California.

Your going to pull the engine to do the job?

It’s about 4-5 hour job, not difficult at all. Parts needed is......
1. HG’s
2. Cam/lifters
3. Cam/lifter lube (assembly lube)
4. Distilled water
5. Coolant
6. Oil/filter
7. Headbolt set
It’s more time consuming than anything. If you’ve never done it before, give yourself 3 days. Otherwise for someone like me, 4-5 hours.
So if he dropped the car off in the morning to you It would be done by lunch time?....wow your fast.

The plastic lifter cage in the 3rd gen is a joke. I wonder if there is a better mousetrap in the aftermarket:popcorn2:

Just looking for a reputable engine shop in nyc or ny state area. I really don’t want to dump this car since I just spent three thousand in the front end.

I hear these stories wayyyyyy to often. It is NOT out of line to ask if the shop has done MOPAR 383 engines before and if you could speak to several "happy" customers. And when they tell you it will be done on FRIDAY,ask which friday.............
It has gotten to the point that we need a completion contract to get machine,body & chassis shops to agree to so we don't end up in jail.
Been there and done that:realcrazy::(
With that being said,there is a shop in Wappinger Falls that has run MOPARS himself,,,,,,,Vignogna Performance @ 845-298-9041. There is another excellent choice in NJ,Mike Bosanti @ 973-267-4364. You also have Porter Racing in Vermont that is also a member here. His screen name is PR heads. He can be reached @ 802-951-1955.
I would NEVER send a fellow Mopar guy to anyone that could leave a **** stain:lol::thumbsup::usflag:

Last edited:
I hear these stories wayyyyyy to often. It is NOT out of line to ask if the shop has done MOPAR 383 engines before and if you could speak to several "happy" customers. And when they tell you it will be done on FRIDAY,ask which friday.............
It has gotten to the point that we need a completion contract to get machine,body & chassis shops to agree to so we don't end up in jail.
Been there and done that:realcrazy::(
With that being said,there is a shop in Wappinger Falls that has run MOPARS himself,,,,,,,Vignogna Performance @ 845-298-9041. There is another excellent choice in NJ,Mike Bosonti @ 973-267-4364. You also have Porter Racing in Vermont that is also a member here. His screen name is PR heads. He can be reached @ 802-951-1955.
I would NEVER send a fellow Mopar guy to anyone that could leave a **** stain:lol::thumbsup::usflag:
Ok I’ll give one of them a call.

I’ve done a few. The very first 1 took me 7 hours in an apartment complex parking lot, it was raining. The next at a friend of a friend in his garage, 6 hours and he had air so I could use my air tools to disassemble. Then I did another at my house, it was. 6.1 hemi swap that I did a thread on. Turns out after it was all done and running I kept getting a misfire code on #6, swapped coils, plugs, it stayed at #6. I told the forum member what it was, got the ok to fix it, i ordered parts so everything was there. I did cheat by drawing the oil and coolant the day before, that save me some time. So yes, I can do a cam/lifter swap on a Gen 3 Hemi in 4-5 hours.

So if he dropped the car off in the morning to you It would be done by lunch time?....wow your fast.

If I started at 8 and it’s a dead cold engine, he could pick it up around 1-2 and drive home, if I have all the parts and don’t need to wait for the auto parts store to get something.

You’ll be in good hands.

Bloviating. 5-20 too thin for the MDS engines. Cam failure. 0-30 Amsoil no issues.

The OEM lifter cage is a joke,there are aftermarket ones available to eliminate the ease of breakage.:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back