• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3" Exhaust Tailpipes for 71-74 B bodies other than TTI?

Green72Runner

Local time
9:36 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone found a supplier for 3" parts specifically over the axle tailpipes that would fit my 72 RR? I know TTI sells them but i would hope i could find them cheaper than $270 shipped. I see some on Ebay but it says it is only for Coronets Base/Wagon/ and 4 door?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flowmaster-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3f3b6151&vxp=mtr Anyone used these or others that work with our cars? I don't have a tone of $$ but i would like to fix my leaky, crooked tailpipes

Thanks

Try accurate exhaust. http://www.accurateltd.com/B-body-Tips_c_117.html
When I have spoken with them at car shows, they have had a lot of sizes available. They are great guys, and their quality and service has been top notch.

IMHO, you should go with stainless exhaust tips so they don't look like S**t a year after you install them.

Regards,

Hawk

I do not know your situation, but I just had a local muffler shop bend a set of 2.5" pipes using my originals as a pattern. I remade the original style clamps in 2.5" and you really cannot tell the difference unless you are being judged except that they are not rusty. If your pipes are still on the car I would think that a good shop could measure for any tight spots and bend you up a set. My exhaust, headers back, minus the mufflers was right around $200

thanks guys, I am in need of a 3" Mandrel bent, i don't want to take the power loss from smaller tubing. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay the TTI prices

I have the 3" TTI H-Pipe header back exhaust on mt '71 Charger and I'm happy with it.

I am also thinking 3" when I replace my current pipes. Should I be worried about too big of an exhaust?
Jim

I am also thinking 3" when I replace my current pipes. Should I be worried about too big of an exhaust?
Jim

What motor are you running? and what is your goal? Either way from what i have researched and experienced, the "too big will make you lose torque" is a load of crap. Overall unless you are really needing a ton of low rpm torque opening up the exhaust is a good thing, it usually move the peak TQ and HP up in the RPM range a bit but usually makes a good increase in average TQ and HP meaning the car will be overall quicker in things like the 1/4" Technically it also helps with fuel efficiency (not that we really care about that with big blocks). I guess if you had a weak motor it may slow it down but i have yet to see that article

i have a '71 with a 440, 4-speed an 3.23 rear. The 440 is built similar to a magazine build years ago that was rated over 440 hp. The cam kicks in above 2500 rpm's. It's not a race car, but fun to drive. It sees mostly highway miles. It will be getting a new exhaust sometime and I have always considered a 3". I'm also thinking it would be louder with the 3" which is something I wouldn't mind.
Jim

I think you would like the sound and performance. My last muscle car had a 440 straight out of a 79 motor home. So it was about as low performance as you can get. I tried running it a few passes in Vegas on uncapped headers and to me it seemed to be faster. I have to say seemed to be because it was running about 3/10s faster than normal but i was also at a lower altitude.

Sorry, just realized I misread this post - I read exhaust tips, and not tail pipes. Sorry! :iamwithstupid:

Anyway, Accurate may be able to bend 3" tail pipes too, although Accurate is not too cheap either. What they are though is, uh, accurate...

Check out the Summit brand 3" pipes from Summit Racing. I have their 2 1/2" but and even though they worked well over the axel, I found that I didn't like the way they were bent right off of the headers. I actually put the right pipe on the left side and vice versa and it worked pretty well, but not perfect.

I was debating about buying a 2 1/2 or 3" exhaust - i'm at that fine line between the two at 600hp - I picked 2 1/2" as I read alot of people complaining about the drone from having a 3". Also 2 1/2" weighs less :) I figure I can get the same performance and sound out of the 2 1/2" with the electric cutouts installed...I've read a ton of debates on this and sounds more like it depends on what you like

Auto Transport Service
Back