• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

346 heads (1973)

icecat66

Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Just got a complete set of 346 heads numbers came back 400/440 1973... Going on my 1968 383 original 2brl motor with 250 heads.... Did I make a good buy at 75.00 or did I just waist my time for no HP gains....
Thanks for your time and help..
Joe

What kind of shape are they in? I paid 50 for a grungy set that needed some serious cleaning up. I worked them over quite a bit too. Larger valves. Bowl and port work. But stock they are ok. Not that much different than a 906 really.

You did good. I would charge $75 per head myself. They are mostly the same as a 906 head, but with induction hardened exhaust seats. The runners might have slightly less volume, but you will never see any difference on the street. Do a 3 angle valve job, new guides, mill the heads 0.010". You could do a little gasket match on the intake runners only, and put larger valves in if you want (2.14/1.81).

Good Buy...

Good shape need a good cleaning and a once over by an engine shop but all in all good condition...

- - - Updated - - -

image-4.jpg
image-2.jpg

I prefer the 906 or 915 over any late model head, BUT, if you got useable hard seats and good guides out of the deal then you did good. The difference in the port between the 906 and the 346/452 is the intake, with the later heads reverting back to a flat floor like the old 516's. You can do a good basic valve job and pocket port and make plenty enough power to burn your tires down to the rims.

Auto Transport Service
Back