• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383/340 engine swap

magnumdart

Local time
2:57 PM
Reaction score
I have a '68 Charger originally a 383/727 car with 8 3/4 diff. I have a mild '71 Challenger 340 engine with a small block 727 I am considering putting in the Charger. Will I have motor mount, trans crossmember, or drive shaft issues? Seems like it should be pretty straightforward, just trying to avoid any huge pitfalls. I do have a 440 that needs to be re-built but I don't want to spend the time at this stage. Thanks for any input.

Because the distributor is in a different place you should get a small block engine compartment wiring harness or modify yours. The existing exhaust system will need to be fitted to the 340. Radiator inlet / outlet may be on the wrong side. The K member is the same but you will need the mount brackets. Everything else should just fit right in.

Meep-meep is right on the money- just overlooked releasing some tension on the torsion bars to compensate for less weight of small block (but some guys like the nosebleeds...lol)

Good deal. I figured this wouldn't become too involved. I'm gonna do some measuring of tailshaft lengths, make sure drive shaft splines are correct, make sure the shifter will line up and I'll be good to go. Front end is all new so I'll adjust bars when eveything is installed.

727 to a 727...bolts right in and the splines are the same. And you might not have to mess with the torsion bars as the weights are not that much different...80-90 lbs.

Auto Transport Service
Back