• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 build how to get close to 500 hp with out a stroker kit?

That IS part of true blueprinting and you will find that with this you will see much more than 25 h.p. gain.

That's entirely possible. I always err on the conservative side.

That's something I've always wanted to do. Take a known good running engine and dyno it, disassemble it, blueprint the crap out of it reassemble it and throw it on the dyno again to record the difference.

That's entirely possible. I always err on the conservative side.

That's something I've always wanted to do. Take a known good running engine and dyno it, disassemble it, blueprint the crap out of it reassemble it and throw it on the dyno again to record the difference.
I would think you are too much like me. You cant reassemble anything with out adding a little something something lol

The block decks on MoPars were not that square. Often you will find them to be sloped from one side to another so decking is always recommended. So consider getting the deck square and to the proper dimension as part of blueprinting. Also getting the cylinder wall finish just right can make a huge difference.

No it won't. Next you're gonna say somethin really off the wall like gettin combustion chambers down to their right size will add compression. Dang. What books you been readin? lol

The block decks on MoPars were not that square. Often you will find them to be sloped from one side to another so decking is always recommended. So consider getting the deck square and to the proper dimension as part of blueprinting. Also getting the cylinder wall finish just right can make a huge difference.

Let's see, if we went looking for the highest mechanical friction source within the engine where would we look? Is it the distributor drive gear bushing?? How about all 8 piston rings sliding up and down 8 cylinder bores? And perhaps managing the scratches very precisely will free up some power by allowing good ring seal and and less friction at the same time. One Ford builder actually checks the surface finish on the engines he builds. I know this is splitting hairs a bit, but someone did say "blueprinting", so a combination of getting everything right can free up a few HP. If we are looking at time and materials vs. HP you can get to your target by simply putting in a bigger cam, add CR and spin it higher. Just depends what direction you are going or what you are allowed to do within the rule book. The more restrictions imposed the harder people start to think.

I met a guy that runs a stock class 64 Comet wagon with a 289. The car runs 9's I think and that's with the OEM 470 CFM Autolite carb and intake, stock crank and rods. The cam isn't a smooth factory stock profile and the valve spring pressures are so high he had trouble keeping the valves where they belong. Even the rods he uses are from a 260 because they are slightly thinner in the beam, which he said gives him a little RPM edge because of the weight savings. Yes he does run ARP hardware but those SB Fords have 5/16" bolts! Oh, and he hits the lights at over 9000 RPM. The thing doesn't have to live for 100K miles so you can bet he is squeezing everything he can out of 289 inches. I think he even uses 20 wt oil and dropped to 10 wt for a record pass.

I was jokin dummy.....did you not see the lol? LOL You're 100% right. You can include...and SHOULD every single measurement and procedure when blueprinting.....like the factory DIDN'T. It amazes me how much they really left off. BUT, had they done it to the Nth degree, no one would have been able to afford them.

I thought you would like my smart *** distributor bushing reference. Don't tell me it was wasted.

I thought you would like my smart *** distributor bushing reference. Don't tell me it was wasted.

No.....I laughed out loud because I remember a guy years ago who replaced his and hammered his intermediate shaft in place upon assembly. He insisted it was supposed to be tight like that to "wear in" the proper clearance when it was fired off. He fired it off and the bushing literally drooled into the oil pan from the heat. It turned the block blue, black and purple where the bushing was. It was humorous to say the least.

all production line motors leave a ton of hp on the table.a simple blueprint will free up a ton of power in most production engs.remember that production lines are just that,bolt together and go.all the "super motors"were assembled by hand and blueprinted from the factory lab rats.i would have loved to dyno about ten or so of the same muscle cars right off the assembly line back in the day just to see the amazing amout of varience in power.

all production line motors leave a ton of hp on the table.a simple blueprint will free up a ton of power in most production engs.remember that production lines are just that,bolt together and go.all the "super motors"were assembled by hand and blueprinted from the factory lab rats.i would have loved to dyno about ten or so of the same muscle cars right off the assembly line back in the day just to see the amazing amout of varience in power.

Yes, occassionally one from the factory was closer to what they SHOULD have been just by chance. In the small town I lived in back in the day there was a stock 383 Roadrunner with column auto and 3.23 Sure Grip that the majority of the time would take similar GTXs and R/T in the quarter and mad short work of GTOs and 396 Chevelles. That car won him a lot of $100. bills. It was the best running stock 383 I have ever seen.

I wholeheartedly concur. I have seen many stock cars of all domestic makes through the years that ran way better than most of their counterparts. You almost have to wonder if it was done on purpose. One of my high school friends used to routinely borrow his dad's 1970 4 door Impala. It had a 300 horse 350 in it from the factory. Stone stock. Another of our mutual friends had a 69 Camaro with a 300 horse 350. Both cars had 3.08 gears. I bet we lined those cars up 100 times and the Camaro NEVER won. That Impala was really fast. That was back in the EARLY 80s and to this day there are still black marks in the street in front of their old house that Impala made. lol

No.....I laughed out loud because I remember a guy years ago who replaced his and hammered his intermediate shaft in place upon assembly. He insisted it was supposed to be tight like that to "wear in" the proper clearance when it was fired off. He fired it off and the bushing literally drooled into the oil pan from the heat. It turned the block blue, black and purple where the bushing was. It was humorous to say the least.

Oh man! He should have cut a flute in the drive gear shaft so it could machine itself in place. Now that's efficiency!

Down here in Oz we use to have a saying "Buy a Wednesday car" or "This car is a Wednesday car"
That is :it was built on Wednesday.
The theory is on Monday people where recovering from the weekend and Friday they where looking forward to the weekend.In both cases their mind was not all there while working.

Whether true or not ,I tend to think it could be a bit of luck also 696pack

Down here in Oz we use to have a saying "Buy a Wednesday car" or "This car is a Wednesday car"
That is :it was built on Wednesday.
The theory is on Monday people where recovering from the weekend and Friday they where looking forward to the weekend.In both cases their mind was not all there while working.

Whether true or not ,I tend to think it could be a bit of luck also 696pack

That's funny, in 1978 my mom bought a ford pinto she kept hearing a rattle in the passenger door and the dealer would never fix it so one day she gets the screw driver out and gets the door panel off only to find a coke bottle on the bottom of the door! some line worker was too lazy to take out his trash. FRIDAY CAR!

Scenario:

stock 383 in 70 RR

Customer wants up to 500 HP with out stroker kit would be happy with 400-450
Has headers
I suggest EFI
Needs to run on 91 octane or less
Needs torque - Aluminum heads? Which ones?
Needs to fit under hood with factory air grabber
Needs to be able to drive state to state smoothly

What are the suggestions to get close to this goal?

Cam selection?
Heads?
Manifold with carb? Or EFI?

Supercharge it.... Stock idle and drive-ability....

Back to the original premise, a Holley B block Street Dominator will fit with air grabber and will make power. It is a flat single plane that makes numbers like an Eddie RPM. This intake with properly sized carb, good heads, cam and headers should wake it up. Maybe not 500 hp, but fun driver. Years ago, Mopar Muscle made 454.9 hp @6000 rpm and 456.6 lb-ft @ 4800. 850 carb, M-1 intake, Comp XE 285HL cam and Hooker 17/8 headers. Stock stroke and bore.
Funny you brought up that intake. I actually have 1 for each of my motors. Guys have given me a hard time for searching for this maifold but it seems to perform incredibly well! Not to mention fit under the hood. I thought it worked with the air grabber set up too but couldn't remember.

I think 500 with a stock stroke 383 is very possible, i have a 383 in my 65 dodge, all stock 65 383, stock rotating assembly, around 10:1 with .528 mopar cam, heads have 2.08 1.81 valves unported, ductile rockers, holley street dominator intake with 850 dp, 1 7/8 headers, car weighs 3500 with me in it, has stock suspention with pinion snubber. 4.56 gears, 727 with 4500 stall, 275 60 15 mt radial. i cut a 1.68 60' 7.96 1/8 and 12.65 1/4 at 104....on that pass i was on the 6200 rev chip about 40 yards befor the traps so i know my 1/4 time and mph were slightly limited cuz 12.65 at 104 is pretty wierd. but run that through a horsepower calculator, from a basicly stock 383 thats pretty good numbers

Yea, many people under estimate the 383, but the 3.38 stroke and 4.25 bore are a good combination fora quick reving, with the right combo they will make plenty of power

Auto Transport Service
Back