• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 piston clearance

magnumdart

Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
Could someone tell me how far above or below the deck of the block the piston would be on an unmolested 1968 383HP? I'd like to put a re-worked set of 516's milled .010 on it just for fun.

Ya better measure to make sure with the closed chamber heads IMO. Hope you've got the bigger valves in there.

The maximum C/H on a 383 would be 1.935". This would put the piston at zero deck in a stock block. What is the C/Height on the pistons you have now?

- - - Updated - - -

May be best/easiest to just measure it when you pull off the old head.

Thanks all. Best I can figure is the numbers are going to be all over the place. I asked because I was thinking of buying one and toying with it a little. I just didn't want to get too deep into new pistons, machining, that sort of thing. I either have to just buy it and measure or see if the guy will let me take a head off and check it. The bonus here is the date code is correct for my car.

Auto Transport Service
Back