• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 runs lil ruff when warm

So put a pvc in to the carb?
Usually on the passenger side
1662584024045.png

Yes run a PCV valve for sure.
Also as mentioned it could be the accelerator pump is not giving you that extra shot of gas when you stab it.
Could be one of the plug wires is arcing on something. Have you checked the plugs, rotor and cap for any carbon buildup ?
Honestly there are a ton of reasons you could be having rough running.

Like Don and I suggested, if there is no simultaneous travel of the kickdown arm in relation to the throttle, there will be the potential for a lot of slippage of the front clutch in 3rd gear under a load if there isn't a proportionate amount of clamping force.

I plan on getting new wiring harness for engine and headlights also the bulk head and dash wires over the winter. Appreciate all the sincere advice I am getting Thank y’all

Yes run a PCV valve for sure.
Also as mentioned it could be the accelerator pump is not giving you that extra shot of gas when you stab it.
Could be one of the plug wires is arcing on something. Have you checked the plugs, rotor and cap for any carbon buildup ?
Honestly there are a ton of reasons you could be having rough running.
Yes I have checked the wires,cap, and rotor all good.

I’m thinking carb issues from it sitting for so long. I’m also going with the Holley sniper efi over the winter. Was just hoping it was something simple, I still can drive it just can’t mash the gas

all of the above, choke could be not opening completely you can check that with the air cleaner off while running. accelerator pump may not be working, or float height too low. put a pressure gauge on the fuel line. a plastic inline one 0-10psi from mr gasket is fine. edelbrock AVS needs a certain amount of pressure. if it's really low pressure then suspect fuel filter or fuel pump/pushrod.

I would definitely not go to EFI at this point in your ownership as you will just be adding complexity, stick with a carburetor. clean this one up or buy a 650cfm AVS2.

all of the above, choke could be not opening completely you can check that with the air cleaner off while running. accelerator pump may not be working, or float height too low. put a pressure gauge on the fuel line. a plastic inline one 0-10psi from mr gasket is fine. edelbrock AVS needs a certain amount of pressure. if it's really low pressure then suspect fuel filter or fuel pump/pushrod.

I would definitely not go to EFI at this point in your ownership as you will just be adding complexity, stick with a carburetor. clean this one up or buy a 650cfm AVS2.
I have replaced gas tank, fuel filter, and fuel pump. But I will check the pressure. I’ve noticed that my fuel filter is not staying full, it drains down so I’m thinking I have carb issues. I ordered a rebuild kit for the edelbrock 750. Gonna try to do it myself it will be a first for me.

Like Don and I suggested, if there is no simultaneous travel of the kickdown arm in relation to the throttle, there will be the potential for a lot of slippage of the front clutch in 3rd gear under a load if there isn't a proportionate amount of clamping force.
I’m not sure how or which way to adjust the kickdown. Is there a website I can get some instructions on it? Or can you instruct me on how to?

I’m not sure how or which way to adjust the kickdown. Is there a website I can get some instructions on it? Or can you instruct me on how to?
You need to do what I said in post # 19!!!!!!!!! It's a job that's better to be read than explained!!!!!!!!

You need to get an FSM and stop asking so many questions! You do know what an FSM is don't you?

Watch this it should help you adjust the kickdown.

So put a pvc in to the carb?
No, the PCV valve goes in one valve cover and the vacuum line from it runs to the vacuum port on the carb that you have capped. The vented cap on the other valve cover is the intake and the air is pulled from the intake side, through the crankcase and PCV valve via the suction line at the carb base. Your setup shows 2 vents, but no suction, thus no "positive" air flow through the crankcase.

Road Runner 2   383 Motor.JPG

Last edited:
No, the PCV valve goes in one valve cover and the vacuum line from it runs to the vacuum port on the carb that you have capped. The vented cap on the other valve cover is the intake and the air is pulled from the intake side, through the crankcase and PCV valve via the suction line at the carb base. Your setup shows 2 vents, but no suction, thus no "positive" air flow through the crankcase.

View attachment 1339662
Appreciate the help gonna do that after work

Very helpful thank you reading is not my specialty I’m more hands on and video thank you
To lazy to read and get the truth instead of some moron on Boob tube trying to explain it!

To lazy to read and get the truth instead of some moron on Boob tube trying to explain it!
Like I said before if ya just wanna be rude and a *** don’t comment. I asked for help not moron responses 69a100

Appreciate the help gonna do that after work
Having the PCV system set up properly is good for your engine, but I think we got off on a tangent and I doubt that is contributing to your original problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back