• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'383' Stock Intake Manifolds vs. Edelbrock Performer

Minnesota Guy,

The 383/400 Cast Iron Spread-Bore Intakes for the Carter Thermoquad

* 1972 '400/255 HP' Cast Iron Intake Manifold {#3614046}
* 1973 '400/245 HP' Cast Iron Intake Manifold {#3671879}
* 1974 '400/200 HP' Cast Iron Intake Manifold {#3698442 or #3830949}

All came thru with a mounting base for the Carter Thermoquad {820 CFM} Carburetor with;
* Primary Throttle Bore ........ 1.500"
* Secondary Throttle Bore .... 2.250"

But for our test, the '1967' Carter {566 AFB} is not suited for the 'Spreadbore' Carburetor base.

Last edited:
I'm glad someone is finally doing a test with magnum manifolds as many people do run them. Frequently it's a phased approach and they are looking for best horsepower and move up to headers and other mods.

Not everyone wants to run headers so this testing/thread is particularly interesting since you are strictly testing different intake manifolds and not changing other parameters.

This is a great thread thanks for posting this. I have a sum what unrelated question. Can a Thermoquad be bolted to an Edelbrock Performer intake? Is it necessary and is there enough “meat” to bore for the 2-1/2” secondary’s?

Edelbrock Performer and Carter Thermoqad

This is a great thread thanks for posting this. I have a sum what unrelated question. Can a Thermoquad be bolted to an Edelbrock Performer intake? Is it necessary and is there enough “meat” to bore for the 2-1/2” secondary’s?

Yes,

As long as you utilize a 4-Hole {.150"} thickness 'gasket/insulator' to provide for additional side clearance, the Thermoquad is a 'bolt-on' unit.

Note; The Thermoquad has a 2.250 {2 1/4"} Secondary Throttle.

http://quadrajetparts.com/product_t...rmoquad-base-gaskets/Q1726B-ws.jpg&w=87&h=100

Last edited:
Yes, You will need to use an adaptor, but yo should give it a whirl. Those are the best factory 4bbl intakes, in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran my 1971 440 Barracuda both ways at the drag strip. Running a 440 Thermoquad intake with a 750 AVS carb. It ran 11.89 @113 with the Hooker -basic- 1 7/8 Comp headers, and full 3 inch TTI exhaust with H pipe. I bolted on the Factory HP exhaust from 1969, with same exhaust, and it slowed the car down 1/2 second. Its best was 12.29 but more runs were closer to 12.4@110mph.
You lose 4/10-5/10 with any kind of upgraded camshaft or better heads connected to the HP exhaust manifolds. They are the big restrictor on making a 383-440 breathe They are not that good. Max Wedge exhaust is a little better, but I have a friend with Max Wedge car and they still are not the best. Hemi manifolds were the best as they only lose 20hp compared to headers.

The Edelbrock Performer intake was designed for both the AFB type (Holley) and Thermoquad. So yes it will bolt on without an adapter.

1972 Mopar 400 Cast Iron Intake Manifold

Designed for the Carter Thermoquad {820 CFM} > 1.500" Primary x 2.250" Secondary

m75Aj5pCSVaW_RkY_hBtPrA.jpg

Your DP4B post doesn't list an ET.

Your DP4B post doesn't list an ET.

Patience

Wednesday Night {August 27}

* 'Test and Tune' at Lebanon Valley Dragway {West Lebanon, New York}

We're running the 1967 Satellite with the Edelbrock DP-4B. We want to get '3-Runs' in.

We're expecting low 13.90's and close to 101 MPH.

Yes,

As long as you utilize a 4-Hole {.150"} thickness 'gasket/insulator' to provide for additional side clearance, the Thermoquad is a 'bolt-on' unit.

Note; The Thermoquad has a 2.250 {2 1/4"} Secondary Throttle.

http://quadrajetparts.com/product_t...rmoquad-base-gaskets/Q1726B-ws.jpg&w=87&h=100

My mistake I should have written 2-1/4 secondaries. Why does it need the .150” insulator gasket / side clearance? To clear throttle linkage or the secondary throttle plates? The manifold looks like a direct bolt up, but I have not actually seen one and I have not found any info stating that TQ will bolt on without an adapter.
Again thanks for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to your DP4B test runs. I have a DP4B that I will try on my ’68 383, but would like to try a TQ setup some day without an adapter. I also have a 400 TQ cast iron manifold, but was looking for aluminum. The engine is mostly stock. I’d like to do a side by side with the TQ setups just like you are doing just for fun and to see if an aftermarket aluminum intake manifold makes any “real” improvement or if the factory setup is better.

First, all the Carter & Edelbrock carbs are aluminum and should use the thick gasket for heat insulation. The core they are the better they'll run.

Second, the factory equipped the engine/ carb with a thick gasket. IDK how thick it was from the factory. But I do know if you use the thin gasket, the choke linkage is now that much more out of adjustment. It is like the rod is longer while hot and shorter when cold. This will cause starting and running problems.

The TQ is (or should be a no issue) bolt on to the performer from Edelbrock. If there is a Fitment issue, I do not know about it. But the carbs gasket is the first place problems start.

The perdoer is (IIRC) listed as a replacement part. While this can mean several things, it was designed as a upgrade part ready to bolt I and go without issue.
Other intakes may have a problem using this carb due to a lack of a choke well.

Edelbrock Performer #2186

This Intake Manifold is technically a 'stock' OEM replacement for the 1972 '400' Big Block.

It has the same width carburetor mounting base for the Carter Thermoquad {820 CFM}
* {1.500" Primary x 2.250" Secondary}

2186.jpg

Are those horsepower numbers on an engine dyno? Are you close to LVD? Pics of the car? I like this!

383 Intake Manifold Comparison

#2205968 ..... {1963 thru 1967 Casting} .................... 14.17 ..... 98.04

#2951666-1 .. {late-1970 and 1971 Casting} .............. 14.06 ..... 99.43

#2806301 .... {1968 and 1969 Casting} ...................... 14.04 ..... 99.11

Edelbrock Performer {#2186} .................................... 14.01 ..... 99.58

Mopar M1 Dual-Plane {#4529117} ............................. 13.99 ..... 100.02

Weiand Action Plus {#8008} ...................................... 13.97 ..... 99.78

Edelbrock {DP-4B} ................................................... 13.93 ..... 100.12

Man! What I would do to have my old DP4B back! It was an awesome manifold.

I liked this post and thread. I like it when people get their stuff to run well without using stroker engines or extreme this or that.

I wonder what the exact camshaft specification were for the 67 383 HP.

That's in another post. Possibly also posted by member "440 Cuda".

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW the Weiand action plus is still available new...and it's relatively cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to see the numbers for the Performer RPM.

1972 Mopar 400 Cast Iron Intake Manifold

Designed for the Carter Thermoquad {820 CFM} > 1.500" Primary x 2.250" Secondary

View attachment 207664

I have a very similar manifold that was on a 73 imperial with 440 & carter thermoquad would there be a problem if I switched to the Edelbrock Performer intake will the factory throttle pressure linkage hookup or will I need to go to an aftermarket set up. I switched from a 2bl to 4bl on a 318LA motor and still cannot get the right throttle pressure linkage parts to make it function. Otherwise I will just keep the stock intake and I assume I can eliminate the egr valve as the 66 charger its going into doesn't use it. I would have a question on how to wire up the wires that go to the choke on the passenger side. Also If anyone could point me in the direction of someone who rebuilds the thermoquads that would be much appreciated.

I liked this post and thread. I like it when people get their stuff to run well without using stroker engines or extreme this or that.

I wonder what the exact camshaft specification were for the 67 383 HP.

1967 383/325 HP Camshaft Specifications

Camshaft...... Hydraulic
Lift.............. .425"/.437"
Duration....... 256*/260*
Overlap........ 32*

Valve Springs..... Single-Coil
Valve Closed..... #125 lbs. @ 1.86"
Valve Open....... #208 lbs. @ 1.42"

Gino

I'll post photo's of the 1967 Plymouth Satellite.

It originally came from Phoenix, Arizona - and is an 'original' 383/325 HP with an Automatic.

Color XX-1 Biege
Interior > White Bucket Seats w/Console.

The car was ordered with 'full' Tinted Glass and 3.55 Gears with 'Sure-Grip.

The car was completely restored.

Suspension
> Heavy-Duty Leaf Springs
> Urethane Bushings
> Monroe Shocks

Wheels are American Racing 5-Spoke 'chrome' {old school}
* Front .. 15" x 6" ... w/GR70 x 15"
* Rear ... 15" x 7" ... w/GR60 x 15"

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back