• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed bench seat v.s. buckets shifter location?

72chrgrally

Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if the shifter location is different in a bench seat car compared to a bucket seat car. My car is an auto console car but I want to put in a buckets buddy seat combo with a 4 speed. I know the shifter handles are different. Thanks.

Steve

I don't think so. Hump and carpets are the same for both. Handle shape changes just for clearence with seat I think

The hump is different
It is with the 2 Plymouth 4 spd cars I own
The bench shifter has a dog bone bracket
To move it's location and also different shift rods

So the bench shifter is farther forward then the console shifter? What is different on the hump?

I'm not on my computer to be able to post pics
if someone else doesn't chime in
I will when I get home

The hump is different
It is with the 2 Plymouth 4 spd cars I own
The bench shifter has a dog bone bracket
To move it's location and also different shift rods

Really? Wow.... I'm interested

Yep.

AMD even offers both humps.

Console (and buckets, no console) cars used the E body shorty shifter and the rear shifter mount on the trans.

Bench (and buckets with buddy seat) cars use the forward shifter mount position with the dog bone and a shifter that looks like a 70 bench seat shifter but not quite as long.

Brewer's site has pics of everything.

You could theoretically move the buddy seat back just a bit and use the rear mount, hump and shorty shifter.

You could NOT do that on a bench car.

Bucket seat 71 style...

IMG_7995.JPG IMG_7997.JPG

Corrected 72 bench seat with dog leg. Even takes a different shifter boot and ring....

IMG_7998.JPG IMG_8002.JPG IMG_7999.JPG IMG_8004.JPG

Last edited:
^^^ that bench seat one is what I want to put in.

Does the dog bone mount to the front pad of the transmission?

Last edited:
^^^ that bench seat one is what I want to put in.

Does the dog bone mount to the front pad of the transmission?

Yes. Your transmission has to have this tail shaft with both mounting positions...

IMG_7365.JPG

Yeah, me too...... man, the '71+ stuff is complicated. I used to have a '71 Charger & a '73 Charger (both auto's though).... beautiful cars in my opinion.

Thanks for all the replies guys, this has been very helpful. Gives me a reference for what to look for.

Steve

Auto Transport Service
Back