• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 .040 over, 3.75 stroke, 400 rods, kb1274-40 silv o lites

JG71B

Local time
6:03 AM
Reaction score
For argument sake, ( yes, 400 with 400 rods and 440 crank), what kind of compression would this combination have? I don't think I'm using the calculators correctly. 1.6xxx isn't even close so I know Im doing it wrong or leaving something out. The 400 block would be squared at 9.980. CH on KB 1274-40 flat top pistons is 1.812, 400 rods and a 440 crank. We'll say 90cc chamber and a .020" steel head gasket. I used the calculator incorrectly but, I'm thinking this piston would be sticking out a bit.
Thoughts?? TIA

And a good chance they'll smash into the crank at BDC.

And a good chance they'll smash into the crank at BDC.
Well, I could just stack a couple thick head gaskets together to get over the sticking out of the block issue and I can take a Dremel to the Piston skirts if that helps to not hit the crank.... of course I'm kidding though. Appreciate it guys, just a little disagreement I had with a buddy of mine. I win!

Well, I could just stack a couple thick head gaskets together to get over the sticking out of the block issue
No need.....just stack up the main bearing shells on the block side and leave the caps bare. :poke:

Cometic will make any thickness gasket u need/want. I can probably have the piston crowns milled some to reduce compression. Kim

I used a 440 crank in a 383 block, had 1/10" machined off the counter weights. Used 383 rods.
No clearance problems. I used 454 Chev pistons. This was many moons ago when none of the stroker kits were available that are available now. The shorter 383/440 rods are a good idea because in my opinion the rod/stroke ratio of the 383/400 is too high. Have a think why stroker engines such as 383 Chevs, 410 Chrys etc

...Punch above their weight compared to other engines in the family of the same capacity...

You'll have to have some more valve reliefs cut into the pistons, but with a .065 positive deck, 90cc heads, and a .100x4.4 cometic head gasket....
I got 9.94 to 1.

Auto Transport Service
Back