• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 build advice

Gobie

Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding my 72 440 any suggestions on aluminum heads source 440 or Eldebrock heads? Going with 10.1-1 pistons. Thinking about ordering Eldebrock top end kit. Just want to hear about those Source heads??

I Never used them, plenty of people here have with no issues. I’m sure someone will chime in about the rockers

I have victor max wedge heads everything was upgraded, completely different from stealths.

I have victor max wedge heads everything was upgraded, completely different from stealths.

Radical head!
NOTE: not for the weak of heart...
Warning: for use ONLY if you wish to WIN

Yeah, that MAXIE head is sweet!
When I did my 440 based Max wedge Cross ram intake engine in 2005, that Head was NOT available
Great set up!

Radical head!
NOTE: not for the weak of heart...
Warning: for use ONLY if you wish to WIN

Yeah, that MAXIE head is sweet!
When I did my 440 based Max wedge Cross ram intake engine in 2005, that Head was NOT available
Great set up!
Ya I can’t wait to get it fired up, just got the engine back last week.

If you have the cash, spend the money on the Sidewinders. I did the Stealth route and it's been a bumpy road. It's all sorted now, but I've had 2 major issues with these heads that had to be corrected.

Edit: If your starting from scratch, I'd do the Edelbrocks.

X2
Only if you wish Aluminum
The 67 GTX I just sold has 440 source stealth Aluminum heads and a GREAT rocker set up
Everyone I know that uses them LOVES them!
BTW: there is another THREAD here on the forum about Aluminum heads
I personally do not mind Mother Mopar CAST 906s OR 452s

Last edited:
There's a member here that has the Trickflow 240s NIB for $2k....

Trick Flow heads
Proform carb
Lunati can
Prw roller rockers
Street dom or eddy torker intake
512 stroker kit balanced from 440source

Easy 600hp+ and well over 600 ft lbs torque

I have the EDE RPM Performer and they are fine. The Trick Flow do look really good. I went with the Indy EZ -1 Max wedge for my 512 motor. A buddy has had the 440 Source heads that cracked in half. May be odd result but something to consider. Good luck.

There’s a reason the stealths are 500 bucks, a lot of proper have used without issue but there’s also plenty like 66satty said that have had issues

What kind of rockers is everyone using with Elds? Summit had some for 700 sound about right??

I have the Comp Ultra Pro Mags on my Eddy RPMs and an old set of Crane adjustable ductiles for back ups....havent ran them yet as my motor is not asembled...:(

Also what are E street heads like 84cc?? Compare to performers

I have the EDE RPM Performer and they are fine. The Trick Flow do look really good. I went with the Indy EZ -1 Max wedge for my 512 motor. A buddy has had the 440 Source heads that cracked in half. May be odd result but something to consider. Good luck.
Ya I think I would go with the Sidewinders before the Source stuff...heard too many bad stories about them (Source) but nothing bad about the SWs...

Auto Transport Service
Back