• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$500- 68 charger

Finally got the dash in. I labeled every wire in the dash while I had it on the kitchen table. Feels like a big achievement but it went in very easy with my neighbor's help. Figured I'd see how the steering wheel looked while I was at it. Gotta find an fm radio of some type for it or get my old am refurbed & modded.

20171218_183240[1].jpg 20171218_183357[1].jpg 20171218_202634[1].jpg

Last edited:
Looks great!! Everything is a milestone at this stage of the game, keep plugging away.

Another little milestone, reinstalled vin tag. I figured out a way to reuse the original rivets.

20171219_205708.jpg

Mine was super easy, with my neighbors help. But there was nothing to get in my way under it, no heater/ac box, radio, wiper system, glove box, etc.. The other day I described my latest plan revision on my car as it being like a go-cart, just basic needs first., brakes, steering and propulsion. All other stuff will be added later as needed. In the future I may get one of those little simple add-on hot-rod heaters to keep from having to go thru all the bs with rebuilding and installing the stock one, not to mention the weight. There is so much room under the dash now I could put one under there that could not be seen very easy.

Well it's been 5 years today since I started this thread and it's starting to be a new years tradition for me to count the passing years, a tradition I'd like to end!, or finish the car anyway. My new year's resolution is to get it running this summer.
Happy New Year 2018 everyone!

Last edited:
Look at what you have done in 5 years from that rusty car you started with to what it looks like now. Your doing a great job!
I'm with you, lets both get our cars running this summer.

I used some black vinyl paint to refurb/reuse the old blue kick panels and the lower column cover.

20180105_200233.jpg 20180105_200149.jpg

I'm wanting to hide the headlight wiring harness where it goes forward in the engine bay (driver's side). May run it inside/under the top of the fender thru some plastic conduit. Anyone else done it like that? And anyone see any problems that may create?

20180112_184816[1].jpg

Last edited:
I'm wanting to hide the headlight wiring harness where it goes forward in the engine bay (driver's side). May run it inside/under the top of the fender thru some plastic conduit. Anyone else done it like that? And anyone see any problems that may create?

View attachment 559248
I used liquid tight flexible conduit with seal tight couplers and ran it from behind the fresh air duct then drilled a hole threw the back of the headlight pan in the fender. It's held in place by clamps that use the fender bolts for an anchor point (May need longer bolts to have enough thread for a nut). I made sure that the conduit ran downhill significantly at the front incase water ever got in it would just run back out. Many, many miles on it with zero problems. Also came up with a way to get rid of all those vacuum hoses for the headlights if you think about doing that as well.

Thanks! I may still use the stock firewall connection but run the wires out the back corner, not sure yet. And I'll probably go with the electric headlight mod to keep from worrying with the stock vacuum set-up.

Wow, I just realized someone gifted me a gold membership,. Thanks whoever you are!

Bought my car a birthday present. Happy 50th Birthday to the 68's. Wondering if these will take the warps out around my door handles. There not warped very much and nobody would probably ever notice but it's one of those things that would bug me.

20180131_183023.jpg

Last edited:
Those plates make the handles feel much firmer. I got mine from Tim and they make a big difference.

Darn it Kid, I forgot all about getting those to you. I'm so sorry!

Darn it Kid, I forgot all about getting those to you. I'm so sorry!
I forgot that you said something about them.,ha.. You've done a lot to help me already bro!.,with your posts, pics, info and spare parts. Can't thank you enough!

Those plates make the handles feel much firmer. I got mine from Tim and they make a big difference.
Tim sent me a pair and they are spot on perfect!

One of the best things to install on these cars that no one sees but you sure do notice...

I installed them and could tell the difference. Speaking of improvements for the doors, Since these doors sound like hit a 55 gal drum when you shut them, I'm thinking about gluing some 1/4 thick or so waterproof polypropylene foam packing/insulation on the insides of the doors outer skin. I think it would make the doors sound better when they shut, and add a little thermal insulating also. Any thoughts on that?

Auto Transport Service
Back