• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6,1 in Charger -68

pulemutta

Local time
7:26 AM
Reaction score
Is there anyone using the auto gerbox that came with 6,1 Hemi?

It's extremely difficult and very expensive to make it work. I would suggest a 4l60 gm trans with an adapter bell housing for stock applications and a 4L80 with an adapter plate for high horse applications.

Why is it difficult? Is it about the electronics? I have a complete Charger SRT8 2006 that runs( as a doner car).

That being the case, you just need to get front and rear wheel speed sensors fabricated into your setup along with the ecm, tcm, bcm, forward controller. If you are using the irs rear end and the front struts along with the hubs and wheel speed sensors.....it really simplifies things. You only need to fab front strut bars and strut mounts along with a custom K member and frame rails. Its not that much work (sorry that was dripping with sarcasm.....but you asked :)

Is that all!? ;-)
I will cut out rear and front end from the -06 and put it in my -68. Wish me luck...

Just to check, what with the NAG1 transmission is it that you like that makes you want to go through all that? 4L80 with gear vendors overdrive seems like a better choice?

I want all the suspension, brakes, steering, axle and gearbox from a modern charger in an old one.

- - - Updated - - -

Dreadl0ck. Nu såg jag att du är från Sverige. Vad sitter 4L80 i från början?

Tahoe, surburban, some Rolls Rolls, Aston martin and Bentley.

If you're not a great mechanic - I'd sell the donor car, buy an alterkation or magnum force kit for front and rear and put some good sized Wilwood on it instead of chopping it up.
But if you do go that route, I got some SRT8 stuff laying around in my garage from my dodge magnum.

I figure it out. My latest car I built, is in the Sfro handbook.

Well, then you know your way around the cars. If I ever do a gen 3 HEMI swap - I'll leave the NAG1 behind and go for something else with pre made couplers. Don't know yet what I think about start swapping the dash and interior though ;)

Well I am a gen3 hemi tuner and I elected to go with a 4L80 behind my gen3 in my 64. It is cheaper, easier, and holds more power out of the box than the nag1. Now, a fully built and properly tuned nag1 is a thing of beauty. Its a far better trans than a 4L80. Cost vs performance though you can't be a 4L80. There is no need for a gear vendors. I have 3.79 gears and 29 inch tall tires and it runs 2500 at 80 on the highway

BTW, Greg at phoenix transmission in Weatherford Texas set me up with everything I needed. Greg I awesome. Known him for years now. Always answers the phone and returns emails. Builds quality stuff......and loves mopars......just sayin'

Last edited:
i used the 6 speed from an 09 srt8 challenger in my 70 challenger, dont need front and rear wheel speed sensors. i just put 1 on the pinion yoke, works fine. but if i had to do it again i would of used a t56. much less fab work

it's been done - buddy and I grafted a 1968 charger body onto the entire floor pan of a 2006 SRT8 magnum -

DUDE! Look up my thread in the member project section. I did what you want to do in a 70 GTX using an 07 Charger donor car. My HUGE MISTAKE was NOT factoring in the speed sensors. That will end up costing me at least $6k to resolve and cost me an entire show season including the 50 yr Hemi anniversary at Mopars At The Strip.
Do yourself a favor and read through my thread!
"B Body Stiffening"

lxmodguy knows of my pain!

I've read your thread and don't know if I can take going through so much pain again if I read it more lol.

My gen3 plan is on hold now - started an EFI project instead since the donor car had a slight mishap and a getting the parts for the swap would cost me a fortune. I'll still be around and listen on everybody else ideas about swapping until it's my turn.

Auto Transport Service
Back