• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6.4 SRT vs 6.4 Truck

Ryan.C

Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
What is the difference between the 6.4 SRT engine offered in cars vs the 6.4 offered in HD Ram pick-ups? I am asking to see if the salvage rams with the 6.4 can be used for a possible restomod engine swap.

Thanks.

6.4 truck has eagle heads instead of apache, cooled EGR, heavier pistons, different cam, has the active intake... there's some stuff made out of different materials.... sodium filled valves, oil cooling jets for the pistons, I THINK all of the truck 6.4's have MDS

Truck will have more torque down low where ya need it.

I've read some where a 6.4 truck engine is stronger then the SRT

Ive been researching this same topic does anyone have anymore info on this. If the Ram 6.4 have stronger internals would that mean it could handle more hp or boost

also I see that many of you guys have the 5.7L. Is there a reason for going that route as opposed to the 6.4L

The front accessory drive is different for car and truck.

From the research I came up with, the 6.4l truck engine has a very similar block as the hellcat, it has better cooling ports that travel lower in the casting, the heads are what they call Big Gas Heads, which have the same cc as the Apache heads 73.4cc, but are made of t356 which is the same material as the hellcat heads. This is designed for better cooling/heat transfer. The BGE heads from what I was told flow just as good if not better than Apache heads. The truck engine does come in lower comp ratio at 10:1 vs the SRT at 10.9:1, which comes from different pistons. For a Forced Air application, it's a better choice, but plan on going through everything to make it work.

Auto Transport Service
Back