• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 2nd outing after repair

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
So the story starts last Wednesday when the motor is back at 1am. New thicker .187" Diameter piston pins. The crank has been polished and rebalanced. The trans issue was due to the valve body. It had a crack in it. Now it had been swapped for a Turbo Action RMVB. We started in my sons garage Thursday at 11.00 am to install everything. Primed it on the stand. Installtion comes to a halt. The converter wouldn't slip in. Pump was jammed. Pull the pump. Turned out to be a small piece of aluminum shaving on the pump gear. He had helicoiled a few holes. With that done, in it went. Then we noticed a drip coming from the external oil line fitting. Drained the pan. Came up with a fix. Now the nylon AN washer has disappeared. After 30 minutes looking we gave up and had lunch. Came back out and found it 8 feet from the bench. The last hickup, or so we thought was a missing MSD coil nut. Yes it's some oddball fine thread metric. Run to the hardware store. It's now about 7:30. Engine fires right up but runs poorly. I check the header tubes. All 4 front tubes are cold. Restart it and I can hear a whistle sound. Last hickup. When I installed the spacer and lid on the Mod Man intake I slipped the fuel regulator bracket under the front carb instead of on top, dah. Anyway refire it set the timing and idle. Runs decent. The metering rods in the AFB's are dancing due to the incorrect springs. It's decided we leave it for now as it left good on it's only pass. It's loaded in the trailer, and truck fueled about 12:00 am. It's now Friday at 7:00 am and we're both going to race at the N/SS Bash series in Columbus 4.5 hrs away with the car totally untested. First TT is at noon. I leave on time. My son's 1/2 late. On the way down he gets into a freeway closed situation due to a wreck. His trip ends up being 5 1/2 hours. We get to Columbus and racing has been cancelled due to rain. So we set up for Saturday. The cars 1st full pass is a 9.89@134. We slow it up to 10.0 index. My son is an amputee and hasn't foot braked for close to 20 years. Though rusty at the tree he goes some rounds. The car is pretty good. We both ran 2 events on Saturday. Vacuum pump canister needs some better baffling. It spun the tires on 2 passes. Next it'll get shock, timing, jetting, shift point s all tested. Is there more in tit? Or is it perfect already? Time will tell. For sure the air quality wasn't ideal. My grand daughter crewed for us. Sundays event was cancelled after 1st rd due to weather. All in all it was a good outing.
Doug

Screenshot 2023-06-26 084532.png

Last edited:
So the story starts last Wednesday when the motor is back at 1am. New thicker .187" Diameter piston pins. The crank has been polished and rebalanced. The trans issue was due to the valve body. It had a crack in it. Now it had been swapped for a Turbo Action RMVB. We started in my sons garage Thursday at 11.00 am to install everything. Primed it on the stand. Installtion comes to a halt. The converter wouldn't slip in. Pump was jammed. Pull the pump. Turned out to be a small piece of aluminum shaving on the pump gear. He had helicoiled a few holes. With that done, in it went. Then we noticed a drip coming from the external oil line fitting. Drained the pan. Came up with a fix. Now the nylon AN washer has disappeared. After 30 minutes looking we gave up and had lunch. Came back out and found it 8 feet from the bench. The last hickup, or so we thought was a missing MSD coil nut. Yes it's some oddball fine thread metric. Run to the hardware store. It's now about 7:30. Engine fires right up but runs poorly. I check the header tubes. All 4 front tubes are cold. Restart it and I can hear a whistle sound. Last hickup. When I installed the spacer and lid on the Mod Man intake I slipped the fuel regulator bracket under the front carb instead of on top, dah. Anyway refire it set the timing and idle. Runs decent. The metering rods in the AFB's are dancing due to the incorrect springs. It's decided we leave it for now as it left good on it's only pass. It's loaded in the trailer, and truck fueled about 12:00 am. It's now Friday at 7:00 am and we're both going to race at the N/SS Bash series in Columbus 4.5 hrs away with the car totally untested. First TT is at noon. I leave on time. My son's 1/2 late. On the way down he gets into a freeway closed situation due to a wreck. His trip ends up being 5 1/2 hours. We get to Columbus and racing has been cancelled due to rain. So we set up for Saturday. The cars 1st full pass is a 9.89@134. We slow it up to 10.0 index. My son is an amputee and hasn't foot braked for close to 20 years. Though rusty at the tree he goes some rounds. The car is pretty good. We both ran 2 events on Saturday. Vacuum pump canister needs some better baffling. It spun the tires on 2 passes. Next it'll get shock, timing, jetting, shift point s all tested. Is there more in tit? Or is it perfect already? Time will tell. For sure the air quality wasn't ideal. My grand daughter crewed for us. Sundays event was cancelled after 1st rd due to weather. All in all it was a good outing.
Doug

View attachment 1485092
The mechanical, logistical and emotional perils we go through for these cars and the love of getting it all soughted out. Amazing.
I've always said that Drag Racing is not a sport of being the fastest, but the sport of problem solving. And if it's with family included, priceless.

Doug

View attachment 1485092

It worked well when it did get down the track. Quick. Will be interesting to see where it ends up with more fine tuning.
Your data sheet is interesting to read and to compare to against my data. Your DA, barometric pressure and comparing how your car changes throughout the day with it. Last weekend our DA was hitting 4600 and barometric was 28.08 on my handheld unit.

Here’s my round 1 last weekend. Can’t get much tighter than this and we both got on the brake crossing the stripe. I’m right lane.

IMG_9300.jpeg

The change in ET vs weather in the instance is misleading. As we adding ballast to run the 10.0 index. It had as much as 175lbs. I haven't figured out why the ballast doesn't always show up in the data on this screen.
Doug

Nice passes...

after all that work to get there :thumbsup:

Great info and story Doug.
Would you comment on the :lowdown: DougMan Indy intake?

Great info and story Doug.
Would you comment on the :lowdown: DougMan Indy intake?
It leaves clean. The car is running more mph (+4mph) better than my buddy's 250lb lighter trick flow 270 headed, Victor intake, 950 Quick fuel 512 (it's 486"). They both have similar cam and compression. His has Indy SR heads. So it's not apples to apples. So far it seems good.
Doug

It leaves clean. The car is running more mph (+4mph) better than my buddy's 250lb lighter trick flow 270 headed, Victor intake, 950 Quick fuel 512 (it's 486"). They both have similar cam and compression. His has Indy SR heads. So it's not apples to apples. So far it seems good.
Doug
Thanks a lot Doug. I'm so close but so far from having all of the components I've paid for and the builder received assembled and fired up, but when I get closer I may send you a message about this. I really enjoy all of your racing posts, and I know I'll never be as detailed in my efforts or as successful as you are. Fortunately my aspirations are just "grudge racing" and having a hot mill under the hood.

We tested yesterday. Got the track and the motor was locked. Checked the coolant level,ok. Tryed a breaker bar, no go. Pulled the plugs and it was full of fuel. My son had topped the cell right to the brim. It appear in the trailer it was hot enough that the fuel exxpanded and jammed the roll over valve in the vent line. Pushed the fuel past the needle and seats. Blew it all out, oiled the cylinders with WD40. Checked the oil. No fuel smell. The oil wouldnt burn on the didpstick. So back together it went. Ran 1.35,6.20@109,[email protected] and backed it up. He shook the rust off as a driver as well .004, .028, .027. He hasn't foot braked in 20 years. For those of you that don't know he is a right leg amputee. Pretty proud of his ability to foot brake.
Doug

Outstanding!
Inspirational as well, to me in that I just posted your success and details you attend to at the track make me realize I will never approach that level of proficiency, but I am "doing it for fun" and it seems to my inexperienced mind that all you do is way more than I want to. Now the "able to" isn't as good of an excuse given your son being an amputee. In another "coincidence" my best friend and Mopar brother, friends since we were 15 years old in the 70s, recently got a nice deal on a real 1970 340 Duster set up for the drag strip and is doing a few odds and ends to make it safer to run. He lost his lower left leg 20 years or so ago in a motorcycle accident and he was an exceptional rider.
He and a couple other of our decades long friends ALL have cars that are drag strip worthy, and ALL of them are a big incentive for me to get my Roadrunner squared away for the track so I can run it some now and keep pushing to do what I must to get that 572 built and under the hood.
Sorry for the long post, but I want you to know how much your stories inspire me!

We tested yesterday. Got the track and the motor was locked. Checked the coolant level,ok. Tryed a breaker bar, no go. Pulled the plugs and it was full of fuel. My son had topped the cell right to the brim. It appear in the trailer it was hot enough that the fuel exxpanded and jammed the roll over valve in the vent line. Pushed the fuel past the needle and seats. Blew it all out, oiled the cylinders with WD40. Checked the oil. No fuel smell. The oil wouldnt burn on the didpstick. So back together it went. Ran 1.35,6.20@109,[email protected] and backed it up. He shook the rust off as a driver as well .004, .028, .027. He hasn't foot braked in 20 years. For those of you that don't know he is a right leg amputee. Pretty proud of his ability to foot brake.
Doug
That’s a pretty crazy thing to happen.
Good job on figuring it out.

It happened again last Saturday. Has to be a vent issue. Only thing I can think of is the rollover valve sticks. My son was removing it.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back