• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Only

I've been looking all over google to fing images of 1962 Cordovan, 1962 Rosewood. . I can find Rosewood/nutmeg. But very few Cordovan . What I was mainly trying to find were cars that were two toned with both colors......The ONLY images of that combo ,, are those of the 62 Fury 413 car in post #680....In fact thats the ONLY image of Cordovan used in a two tone paint combination......Sure wish I could see a car in either of those colors. Going to small mopar show May 4th, but such a small show, not much chance there ( mostly roadrunner/cuda/ A-B-E body group) .
I've been thinking of the switching the colors and using the Lighter Rosewood on the body/ then the darker Cordovan on the roof. Insted of the normal dark on bottom/ light on top. I would still like to use both of those colors. Starting to accept the idea of using those colors.
I had not found those images that you posted above, thanks........The photo of the wagon..thinks it's the same color my car is Sandstone Beige. But my car will need a complete paint job.
I've been looking at the Cordovan color and as applied by the factory it tends to look a little muddy. I think you could solve that with the white sealer I mentioned. I also think that slightly more metallic or a slightly larger metallic would really bring that color to life. Your idea of switching colors could work just remember that the darker the color on top tends to make the car look top heavy. The reason the two cars I provided photos of work with the darker color on top is that the darker color is not too strong. Seems the only way a darker color on top is not to go too dark. In any case your have a great car to work with!! I am excited to see what you choose.

Who has had any experience with '62 Dodge/Plymouth Cop cars?
I remember being on vacation in 1964 just outside Globe, AZ. My Dad had a new '64 Sport Fury with the 426 wedge and was letting the engine breathe. Seems that the AZ Highway Patrol took exception and we were stopped for speeding. The car was a '62 Dodge with the pursuit package. It was a 2 door car and had an especially long duration cam, I can clearly remember the loap. The officer was very interested in the Sport Fury and he and my dad compared cars. He told my dad that he could not turn his car off because of the high compression and the cam. Seems like he only turned it off was at lunch because it had enough time to cool down and he could restart it. Sounds like a max wedge car but I am unaware of any law enforcement using those. OH, yes he did write a ticket had a quota to consider but I think he marked it down quite a bit. Come to think of it I don't think that ticket was ever paid LOL.

I've been looking at the Cordovan color and as applied by the factory it tends to look a little muddy. I think you could solve that with the white sealer I mentioned. I also think that slightly more metallic or a slightly larger metallic would really bring that color to life. Your idea of switching colors could work just remember that the darker the color on top tends to make the car look top heavy. The reason the two cars I provided photos of work with the darker color on top is that the darker color is not too strong. Seems the only way a darker color on top is not to go too dark. In any case your have a great car to work with!! I am excited to see what you choose.
buying paint soon, to paint engine bay. Hope it turns out looking like my steering columm. Pray for me !.. have not painted in over 30yrs...and never BCCC.:lowdown:

Last edited:
I remember being on vacation in 1964 just outside Globe, AZ. My Dad had a new '64 Sport Fury with the 426 wedge and was letting the engine breathe. Seems that the AZ Highway Patrol took exception and we were stopped for speeding. The car was a '62 Dodge with the pursuit package. It was a 2 door car and had an especially long duration cam, I can clearly remember the loap. The officer was very interested in the Sport Fury and he and my dad compared cars. He told my dad that he could not turn his car off because of the high compression and the cam. Seems like he only turned it off was at lunch because it had enough time to cool down and he could restart it. Sounds like a max wedge car but I am unaware of any law enforcement using those. OH, yes he did write a ticket had a quota to consider but I think he marked it down quite a bit. Come to think of it I don't think that ticket was ever paid LOL.
1962 Dodge/Plymouth had an early 385 h.p. 413, before the Max Wedge was introduced. This motor was like the one in the 1962 Chrysler 300H with 2x4 barrels on an inline intake. I have an old Car Life or Motor Trend magazine drive test of a 1962 Dart with this engine, hooked to a floor-shifted 3-speed manual. With the dual carbs, these cars would have good top-end speed. I used to have this setup on a 426 Street Wedge in a 1964 Polara 500 convertible.

Was this the guy? Looks like a Minnesota State on the door though.
dodgepolice.jpg

I remember, well at least as far as my memory of 60 years ago goes, that it was a slick top with lights on the front bumper. Can't remember a siren being in sight, maybe it was under the hood. I do remember it being all black. I do know that whenever someone mentions a radical cam this is one of the cars that instantly comes to mind. The other being a '69 L88 Vette with a 600 lift GK cam. The '62 AHP car sounded incredible as the engine sped up and then almost stalled. Guess this was why I bought a '62.

a7d6b58f07a18d18d131fb7d238bcfe7.jpg

My first Dodge was a 1962 Dart ex-police cruiser here in Ontario, Canada. No dual quad 413 for me; it had a 313, with 3-speed on the column. It did have the 15" rims with the small pickup truck hubcaps, like those pictured. Also, 11" brake drums.

My first Dodge was a 1962 Dart ex-police cruiser here in Ontario, Canada. No dual quad 413 for me; it had a 313, with 3-speed on the column. It did have the 15" rims with the small pickup truck hubcaps, like those pictured. Also, 11" brake drums.
318 with 3 on the tree is kinda cooler :)

Interesting.
How so?

A 313 cu in (5,121 cc) version of the A engine called the 313 was produced from 1957 to 1967 primarily for Canadian and export markets. This engine has a bore of 3.875 in (98.4 mm) and the common 3.3125 in (84.1 mm) stroke, and was used in the following vehicles, amongst others:

Chrysler A engine - Wikipedia(5%2C121,1957%20Canadian%20Dodge%20Custom%20Royal

was'nt there like a federal tax issuse once the engine got a cubic inch size larger...so Canada reduced it to 313 ??? read that some place I think.

Last edited:
A 313 cu in (5,121 cc) version of the A engine called the 313 was produced from 1957 to 1967 primarily for Canadian and export markets. This engine has a bore of 3.875 in (98.4 mm) and the common 3.3125 in (84.1 mm) stroke, and was used in the following vehicles, amongst others:

Chrysler A engine - Wikipedia(5%2C121,1957%20Canadian%20Dodge%20Custom%20Royal

Wow.. i thought it was a typo.. that's pretty cool

1964 was the last year for Canadian 313. In 1965 the 318 was introduced and used through 1967. In 1968 the Canadian 318 Poly was replaced by the LA318. A common rebuild of a worn 313 was to bore it .030" , and use factory 318 piston and rings.

I've been looking all over google to fing images of 1962 Cordovan, 1962 Rosewood. . I can find Rosewood/nutmeg. But very few Cordovan . What I was mainly trying to find were cars that were two toned with both colors......The ONLY images of that combo ,, are those of the 62 Fury 413 car in post #680....In fact thats the ONLY image of Cordovan used in a two tone paint combination......Sure wish I could see a car in either of those colors. Going to small mopar show May 4th, but such a small show, not much chance there ( mostly roadrunner/cuda/ A-B-E body group) .
I've been thinking of the switching the colors and using the Lighter Rosewood on the body/ then the darker Cordovan on the roof. Insted of the normal dark on bottom/ light on top. I would still like to use both of those colors. Starting to accept the idea of using those colors.
I had not found those images that you posted above, thanks........The photo of the wagon..thinks it's the same color my car is Sandstone Beige. But my car will need a complete paint job.
The color appears in the Ross Roy Data Book that I have but it’s impossible to photograph .I’m sure using your sample would be your best alternative.

1103CCC2-44E3-424A-BD5B-32FA031C6AC6.jpeg

Cordovan is a really nice color
I wish I had this

But have only nutmeg with sandstone roof

907a07f0-af0a-4e86-8d17-99d276ce6c1e.jpeg

Cordovan is a really nice color
I wish I had this

But have only nutmeg with sandstone roof

View attachment 1659588
That wagon is nice, I've seen pictures of it before. Did not notice before the sandstone roof. As for Cordovan, it's hard to find images of that color. 2022 at mopar nationals there was a 62 sport fury Cordovan...but could never get a good look at it. He was driving, and I never found where he parked.
Think I want Cordovan on the main body to contrast my interior color (coccoa)...then use rosewood/nutmeg on the roof.
Also I've never found a picture of a wagon painted Cordovan...might be time.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back