• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Plymouth Fury - Poly 318 smoking issue from the steering column area

edwardalane

Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
Hello & Seasons Greetings,

I believe that I have managed to fry some of the wiring in my car. When I started the car up this morning, smoke started to come out from the steering column area. This happened as soon as I put the car in neutral. Then it shut off. The smoke was cloudy and had a really strong burning smell.

I have looked under the dash to see if I could notice frayed/burnt wiring. I have not found anything so far. I know that I need to perform more troubleshooting. Here is the electrical background that has led up to this.
  • Passenger side blinker stopped working.
  • Installed a replacement column turn-signal switch.
  • Installed a Ron Francis after-market bulb socket and a new bulb, ran a ground wire to the battery, and replaced the headlight wiring harness (Herb Auto Parts item). The harness yellow and green wires going into outbound/passenger side headlight were reversed within their connector. I reoriented them. The passenger side blinker resumed working.
  • Then, all of a sudden, the low beam headlights would not come on. They previously did with the old harness. Like a dummy I had dispensed with the old harness weeks ago.
  • Changed the dimmer switch, headlight switch, and all fuses.
The low beams still would not come on. All four bulbs do light up when I put on the high beams. So that made me think that I had connected the harness properly. I have not checked anything with my voltmeter since it is in one state and the car is in another state. That was going to be my next step the next time I come up to where the car is. There are no relays associated with the headlight wiring harness.

Given the misoriented yellow/green harness wiring, I am wondering if there is some issue with the harness itself. I am sure about that (just a thought).

Also, I removed an aftermarket stereo, an amplifier, and the Painless Performance CirKit Boss Auxiliary Fuse Block that I installed years ago. The OEM radio is still installed; just not hooked up.

I am wondering if all of the wiring in the car needs to be/should be replaced? I have done that for a chevy and Dodge truck. However, I am not excited about doing that for the Fury. I am truthfully about ready to part with the car.

I would love to hear any thoughts regarding the smoking issue.

Eddie

If you haven't done so unhook the battery.

The wiring harness that runs up though the column to the turn signal switch can wear through by the steering shaft. You'll need to remove the plug at the end of the harness at the lower end of the column. Mark or draw up a color instruction on a paper so you remember which wire goes where on the plug. Using a small screwdriver release each wire from the plug. Then remove the steering wheel and the turn signal switch and pull the harness up through the top of the column for inspection.

There is not much in that column wiring wise. If it was smoking that bad it should of taken out the fuse. Question is what did the smoke smell like. Burning electrical is putrid and very distinguishable.

There is not much in that column wiring wise.

20170709_152939.jpg

20170720_213558.jpg

:rolleyes:

For the low beam wiring I would check continuity of the wires from the connection point on each end of each individual circuit. Is the bulkhead connection good?
Mike

There is not much in that column wiring wise. If it was smoking that bad it should of taken out the fuse. Question is what did the smoke smell like. Burning electrical is putrid and very distinguishable.
Hey Nora,

The smell was definitely distinguishable with a strong nasty smell. It was quite cloudy looking also.

Eddie

Burning wires has a distinct stink, as does plastic, usually unforgettable as it is part of a shocking event.

Auto Transport Service
Back