• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'64 California Plates

Detroit Iron

Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
How many California members here on FBBO? I'm looking to sell my primo set of '64 California plates, but don't know what sort of interest I'd find here on FBBO if I list them. Wondering if the classifieds here would be better than eBay.

IMG_2094.JPG

No fees here at F*BO sites......just don't include any personal details if you start a thread in the appropriate section.

Why do you believe they are 64? An A series black plate that didn't get issued in 63? In 63 when the black plates were released most of the earlier yellow plates were replaced with black plates so in 63 a large percentage of the new plates were issued... Only way an early plate didn't get issued is if it were sent to a very low volume DMV (maybe someplace like Sonora) where it sat over a year waiting to be assigned to a vehicle...

This is a list of release dates that was posted in the AACA newsletter back in the 90's...

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 1.47.26 PM.png

Also do you know if they have been registered to a vehicle in the last twenty plus years? Cause if they have they can't be assigned to another vehicle which is a big part of what drives their value...

Has a 64 sticker. To use them on a car you have to have the year sticker that your car is. Year stickers are widely available on Ebay

Why do you believe they are 64? An A series black plate that didn't get issued in 63? In 63 when the black plates were released most of the earlier yellow plates were replaced with black plates so in 63 a large percentage of the new plates were issued... Only way an early plate didn't get issued is if it were sent to a very low volume DMV (maybe someplace like Sonora) where it sat over a year waiting to be assigned to a vehicle...

This is a list of release dates that was posted in the AACA newsletter back in the 90's...

View attachment 1322068
Yeah, perhaps I stand to be corrected, either way.... '63 or '64, they'd be badass on a Hemi car. To me it's the 426 that makes them special.

The plates have not been registered to a car since 1964. I know that for a fact. And they have been in my possesion since 1976. So, they are fair game to move to another car.

The plates have not been registered to a car since 1964. I know that for a fact. And they have been in my possesion since 1976. So, they are fair game to move to another car.
PM sent

Absolutely agree the 426 raises the desirability, the fact they've been out of registration/circulation is also huge... GLWYS..

Absolutely agree the 426 raises the desirability, the fact they've been out of registration/circulation is also huge... GLWYS..
on a Mopar site, not necessarily to the general public

There was one Calif plate MAX 426 or HEM 426 , BIG 426 , BAD 426

I've sold a handful of black plates over the years on eBay and have found they move pretty quickly. Last set brought $75.00 and wasn't near as nice as yours. I don't have a good feel for what level of interest you'll find here. My guess is you'd do better on eBay because of a much wider audience.

On the yr of plates, I hope everyone is aware that the "sticker" on a plate is the expiration date, not the issue date. And that the plate without sticker says 63. So obviously plate is a '63, issued in '63, expiring in '64.

On the yr of plates, I hope everyone is aware that the "sticker" on a plate is the expiration date, not the issue date. And that the plate without sticker says 63. So obviously plate is a '63, issued in '63, expiring in '64.
All Calif black/gold are 1963 plates. The year sticker is for the current year of registration. If you wanted to use these on a 1967 car you have to take them to DMV with a 1967 sticker otherwise they will refuse them. The year of registration has to match the year of the car for YOM acceptance

All Calif black/gold are 1963 plates. The year sticker is for the current year of registration. If you wanted to use these on a 1967 car you have to take them to DMV with a 1967 sticker otherwise they will refuse them. The year of registration has to match the year of the car for YOM acceptance
What does that have to do w my post?

Auto Transport Service
Back