• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Polara Max wedge..

Great, now that Leno has a 64 Dodge I will never afford one! :lol:

Very good looking!! Thanks for sharing!!

Nice car, but what's up with the 68' side lights? I'm sure that I saw this car for sale recently as I remember seeing a Polara with those lights.

Nice car, but what's up with the 68' side lights? I'm sure that I saw this car for sale recently as I remember seeing a Polara with those lights.

I’be seen them “repurposed” on quite a few cars. One was a ‘66 GTO. He mounted them up high like on a Dodge, and it said GTOO on the one side.

Glad I got mine 40 years ago when they were cheap; $275.00. I am just doing a re-restoration on it now and likely have more in it than Jay has in his. It's just $$$. My daughter learned to drive and got her licence in this car. We took the kids to Disney World in it in 1983.

P6130015.JPG P6130006.JPG

Glad I got mine 40 years ago when they were cheap; $275.00. I am just doing a re-restoration on it now and likely have more in it than Jay has in his. It's just $$$. My daughter learned to drive and got her licence in this car. We took the kids to Disney World in it in 1983.

View attachment 1197845 View attachment 1197847
That's a beauty and a great story with lots of memories. That's what the car hobby is all about.

Call me a purist if you want but with most of Jay's cars you think he would have had the high standards on this one as well. It's a great car, great driver and probably dependable too. The thing is it's not a good example of what this car really was when new.

They state that the Polara was the top trimmed car. Well the Polara 500 was and that's what he has. The Polara was one notch under the Polara 500. They're calling the engine a Max Wedge. Well maybe it was before they replaced the cross ram manifold with the single carb manifold. Maybe it's a Street Wedge with Max Wedge exhaust manifolds. Maybe it's a 440 with a hodgepodge of different parts on it. Anyway it still looks like a fun car but I didn't really expect Jay to have that kind of interest in one that has so many parts that don't belong on it. JMO

Last edited:
nothing about that car is a max wedge other than the exhaust manifolds.

Completely agree plus I would be embarrassed to have those side marker lights.
BUT I couldn't quite tell but are those 4 bolt valve covers which would be max heads, right?

Honestly, Leno should stick to European cars

BUT I couldn't quite tell but are those 4 bolt valve covers which would be max heads, right?

64s were 6 bolt covers I believe. I think he eludes to it being a street wedge car.

It is a nice car for what it is & the side markers don't do anything for me either along with a lot of other things on the car but I'm the type of person that is a bit of a purist or the correct day 2 race car look.
All 63 & earlier used the 4 bolt valve cover design along with the aluminum rocker stands & then they went to the 6 bolt valve cover in 64 with the cast in rocker stands it really had nothing to do with being a max wedge head or not. the easiest way usually to spot a max wedge head is lack of the heat cross over for the intake.

Auto Transport Service
Back