• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 BB 4spd wagon

I moved this wagon project to the front burner while waiting for my pushbutton tranny to get built for my 62 Dart. The tranny arrived maybe 2 wks ago but I continued on the wagon till I at least had the motor mounted somewhat so it didn't need an engine hoist. The headers that came with the motor for the wagon where requiring such a beating to fit that I ordered Schumacher Tri-Y's for it today and they'll be about a wk getting here. So back to the Dart for a while. I'll pick back up on the wagon when I run into a parts snag on the Dart.

Basicly bought a motor for the wagon and tried to get as far as I could with it till I got my Dart tranny back.

Headers came in Monday and I didn't realize the primaries were that small, ...1-5/8"! Wow that's small block territory to me. Anyway, gave it some thought and...493"...not gonna be a race wagon...guess I'll go ahead and use them.

IMG_7596.JPG

You will be surprised how well the tri-y's work .I had them on 2 different B body cars, both street driven.
499 RB and a 451 B .If I did another I would use them again.

:thumbsup:

Also what helped make the go ahead on the tri-y's was the supposed starter install ease (haven't yet). Like I say to my friends "What's that worth".

Got the trany in the Dart, so back to the wagon for a moment.
You will be surprised how well the tri-y's work .I had them on 2 different B body cars, both street driven.
499 RB and a 451 B .If I did another I would use them again.
I am surprised of how much room to spare there is. Wow! never had this much room with headers before. But I get it, the Try-Y puts them all pretty well in the same plane. Hope they perform as well as they fit!

I am wondering tho how well they'll clear the Z-bar and throwout fork. Think it'll be a little while before I get to that, and forgot to take a pic of that.

Sparkplugs were a brease compared. First time 5 & 6 wasn't a pain.

2 - Copy.JPG

2a  Copy.JPG

2b - Copy.JPG

2c - Copy.JPG

3 - Copy.JPG

4 - Copy.JPG

5- Copy.JPG

Got the trany in the Dart, so back to the wagon for a moment.

I am surprised of how much room to spare there is. Wow! never had this much room with headers before. But I get it, the Try-Y puts them all pretty well in the same plane. Hope they perform as well as they fit!

I am wondering tho how well they'll clear the Z-bar and throwout fork. Think it'll be a little while before I get to that, and forgot to take a pic of that.

Sparkplugs were a brease compared. First time 5 & 6 wasn't a pain.

View attachment 1635739

View attachment 1635740

View attachment 1635741

View attachment 1635742

View attachment 1635743

View attachment 1635744

View attachment 1635745
Thats a lot of room! Might have to research them for my 66 coronet.

I called Schumacher and Accurate Exhaust last Wednesday. IIRC Schumacher is collecting manual shift parts for an A body to start working on the exhaust issue which appears to be the Z-bar lower arm interference with the collector . Think it was small block but I craft.

At Accurate the tech was gone for the evening so I talked with a sales lady and looked at what they do have available on line to work with. Almost ordered one of these two below to have something in hand to see what is needed next but decided to wait till I get a Z-bar somewhat installed first.

Schumacher Flange Pipe Kits for tri-y B/RB and small block h

A little bit of the reason for room is the 1-5/8" primaries but mostly they're all in the same plane and tucked tight to the motor cause they turn rather quickly once they leave the head.

Also, I'm not back on this wagon project yet, I'm still on the 62 Dart which has only a few issues till it's road worthy...ish.

Finely got some time for the wagon to see how the starter would fit. A bit disappointed, the header touches the bottom long bolt on the high torque starter. Sure didn't figure on having to dent the Tri-Y's! Guess they were designed around the original starters. Need to dig up one to check on that.

13.JPG

A little update on that starter bolt touching the header that I forgot to mention after that install, and is fairly important.

My flywheel is a 143 tooth, causing the starter to be moved further out into the collector. Whereas a 130 tooth combo may clear Mo better.

Sorry I didn't get back with that sooner.

Auto Transport Service
Back