• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Charger Interior Installation Step by Step

Maxrat

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
As I installed the interior of my 66 Charger, I wrote down step by step instructions. Hope this helps.
Installing the interior? Wondering what the sequence is? Tips? I wrote the sequence down as I put the rear of the interior together. I think it's fairly accurate (from memory). It's long --

Install headliner 1st

1. Put headliner in place and secure the two side metal strips with clips.
1.a. Secure front of headliner with plastic trim -- sun visors and rear view mirror help hold this piece in place.

2. Install two piece interior plastic trim at the top of rear window (secures rear portion of headliner)

3. Install both driver and passenger side large interior sail panels (with carpet attached)

Note: at this point it is tempting to install the chrome bezels for the side dome lights --- Don’t. If you do you’ll just have to take them back out in order to install the rear passenger side panels which is much later in the sequence.

4. Install rear floor pan with carpet attached (five bolts in rear + six screws and two bolts in front). Note: carpet should be glued down all the way to the end of the floor pan tunnel (cut flush with the end of the floor pan tunnel). Tip -- use thin sheets of plastic and tape them to the carpeted sail panels (already installed). This makes it much easier to slid the floor pan in without damaging the carpet.

5. Install interior plastic trim at lower portion of the rear glass. (above trunk divider)

6. Install trunk divider now or later – does not affect further sequencing

7. Install driver and passenger side interior plastic roof rail moldings (3 screws & the coat hangar)

8. Install driver and passenger side long interior roof rail chrome pieces (lots of chrome screws)

9. Install two cast iron (odd shaped) rear fold down seat mounting brackets inside of the floor pan tunnel. One on each side (4 bolts). See installation guide for orientation of brackets

Important: Take a break and have a beer.

10. Install the carpets that cover the sides of the floor pan tunnel. Trim to fit. Caution: do not glue this to the sides. If you have to hold it in place – just glue a small portion at the very top. Leave the rest loose so the carpet can flip up. This allows access to bolts on the side of the floor pan tunnel.

11. Install rear carpeted center arm rest to floor pan tunnel (four bolts). Note: the short arm rest carpet is glued to the top and then folded around the edge and glued to the bottom.

Important: once the rear center arm rest is installed, easy access to the inside of the floor pan tunnel is blocked.

12. Install the stainless steel trim on the forward leading edges of the rear floor pan (both sides)

Install two strange looking stainless steel escutcheon plates (1 screw for each) (for rear seat folding arms / hinges) Note: you have to trim the carpet for these to sit flat

13. Install the stainless steel trim covering top edges of the floor pan tunnel and the strange looking escutcheon plates

Important: Steps 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 should be done prior to installing the rear folding seat backs. If not, a lot of re-work is waiting

Important: Don’t forget this. If forgotten, severe cursing could ensue --- Install rear seat belts before installing rear folding seat backs. Once rear folding seat backs are installed, installing the seat belts can be a pain.

14. Install rear seat belts

15. Install rear folding seat backs (four bolts + washers)

Fold down seat backs and make adjustments to be level with the floor pan. It’s Ok to cuss a little bit while trying to adjust the folding seat backs

16. Install rear floor board carpet (trimmed to fit)

17. Install rear console with side carpets attached (2 bolts)

18. Install rear passenger side panels (with carpets attached)

19. Install chrome bezels for the rear side dome lights

20. Install rear seat cushions

IMG_5745.JPG

IMG_5746.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

IMG_5779.JPG

IMG_5802.JPG

As I installed the interior of my 66 Charger, I wrote down step by step instructions. Hope this helps.
Installing the interior? Wondering what the sequence is? Tips? I wrote the sequence down as I put the rear of the interior together. I think it's fairly accurate (from memory). It's long --

Install headliner 1st

1. Put headliner in place and secure the two side metal strips with clips.
1.a. Secure front of headliner with plastic trim -- sun visors and rear view mirror help hold this piece in place.

2. Install two piece interior plastic trim at the top of rear window (secures rear portion of headliner)

3. Install both driver and passenger side large interior sail panels (with carpet attached)

Note: at this point it is tempting to install the chrome bezels for the side dome lights --- Don’t. If you do you’ll just have to take them back out in order to install the rear passenger side panels which is much later in the sequence.

4. Install rear floor pan with carpet attached (five bolts in rear + six screws and two bolts in front). Note: carpet should be glued down all the way to the end of the floor pan tunnel (cut flush with the end of the floor pan tunnel). Tip -- use thin sheets of plastic and tape them to the carpeted sail panels (already installed). This makes it much easier to slid the floor pan in without damaging the carpet.

5. Install interior plastic trim at lower portion of the rear glass. (above trunk divider)

6. Install trunk divider now or later – does not affect further sequencing

7. Install driver and passenger side interior plastic roof rail moldings (3 screws & the coat hangar)

8. Install driver and passenger side long interior roof rail chrome pieces (lots of chrome screws)

9. Install two cast iron (odd shaped) rear fold down seat mounting brackets inside of the floor pan tunnel. One on each side (4 bolts). See installation guide for orientation of brackets

Important: Take a break and have a beer.

10. Install the carpets that cover the sides of the floor pan tunnel. Trim to fit. Caution: do not glue this to the sides. If you have to hold it in place – just glue a small portion at the very top. Leave the rest loose so the carpet can flip up. This allows access to bolts on the side of the floor pan tunnel.

11. Install rear carpeted center arm rest to floor pan tunnel (four bolts). Note: the short arm rest carpet is glued to the top and then folded around the edge and glued to the bottom.

Important: once the rear center arm rest is installed, easy access to the inside of the floor pan tunnel is blocked.

12. Install the stainless steel trim on the forward leading edges of the rear floor pan (both sides)

Install two strange looking stainless steel escutcheon plates (1 screw for each) (for rear seat folding arms / hinges) Note: you have to trim the carpet for these to sit flat

13. Install the stainless steel trim covering top edges of the floor pan tunnel and the strange looking escutcheon plates

Important: Steps 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 should be done prior to installing the rear folding seat backs. If not, a lot of re-work is waiting

Important: Don’t forget this. If forgotten, severe cursing could ensue --- Install rear seat belts before installing rear folding seat backs. Once rear folding seat backs are installed, installing the seat belts can be a pain.

14. Install rear seat belts

15. Install rear folding seat backs (four bolts + washers)

Fold down seat backs and make adjustments to be level with the floor pan. It’s Ok to cuss a little bit while trying to adjust the folding seat backs

16. Install rear floor board carpet (trimmed to fit)

17. Install rear console with side carpets attached (2 bolts)

18. Install rear passenger side panels (with carpets attached)

19. Install chrome bezels for the rear side dome lights

20. Install rear seat cushions

View attachment 1571079

View attachment 1571080

View attachment 1571081

View attachment 1571082

View attachment 1571083
As usual your postings are extremely informative! Thanks! I did ours some time ago, but didn’t write a step by step.

I also have a step by step process for upholstery if interested. Lots of pictures.

I’m not reupholstering as my seats were in pretty good condition but I’ll remember that if/when I do

Post away! Every little bit helps!
Would like to but the file is too large to upload here. If anyone is interested, I can email them. It is a PDF file of pictures and procedures that I did. I also developed some of my own patterns, etc.

1704078320381.jpeg

1704066223329.png

Thank you for the info. I am getting ready to do the fastback area on mine and this will be a huge help!
I also have a written process of the carpeting if interested. The sail panels were probably the most interesting to do.

Does anyone have a picture of the roof area above the door glass with the headliner and trim removed? I have wondered how much structure is there to maybe retrofit 3 point seatbelts?

Thanks for doing this RedBeard. I'm just starting to put my interior together now, so this will come in handy. I bought this car disassembled, so I don't have pics of it before hand. It's a different world, compared to the later b-bodies and e-body interiors I'm used to.

Does anyone have a picture of the roof area above the door glass with the headliner and trim removed? I have wondered how much structure is there to maybe retrofit 3 point seatbelts?
If you take the roof rail trim off you can see it.
Carl Cameron told me it took a few months to build the roof structure that would not collapse in a rollover . You should be able figure it out.
The shoulder belt’s were restrained with a strap that was bolted to the rear seat anchor and came over front seat to attach to the lap belt. Very few were sold according to the records I have seen.

Auto Transport Service
Back