• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 Coronet sway bar mounting Q

patrick66

Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
I mounted an aftermarket front anti-sway bar on my Coronet when I did the front disc conversion. Since my '66 (and the majority of others!) never had them, my bar is mounted odd. Pics posted below. Does anyone know the correct way to mount an incorrect bar? It's functional and all, it just looks like an afterthought. I may simply remove it, but after 20 years on the car, I don't want to leave it as-is. Either fix it so it looks and functions properly, or ditch it. IIRC, the bar that is on my car was for '67-'70 B-body.

coronet connie 1.png

Last edited:
I'll wait for pictures. It's hard to say as the information you provided tells me nothing. The 67-69 sway bar is easily done. A 70 sway bar cannot be done with your K frame.

There were two types of front sway bars used in 1966 Coronets, depending on when they were built. The early cars had the version used on 1964-1965 B-bodies that clamped to the front strut rods. The later cars used the 1967-1969 system that attached with brackets to the front K-frame, and to brackets on the lower A-arms. Cars that were not factory equipped with a sway bar likely do not have the bracket on the lower control arm.

The front mounts are the goofy thing here. I don't see a way to mount them like they should be. Any ideas?

IMG_20230814_210120001.jpg

IMG_20230814_210104921.jpg

IMG_20230814_210046572.jpg

Here is a complete 67-69 sway bar with mounts. I cannot see the complete bar from your picture, but it seems that if you could locate the correct mounts and bushings that you may only have to drill two holes on each side of your K frame to mount it
20200410_154740.jpg
correctly.

Here is a picture from a previous link on this site of a mounted sway bar.
1990-043.jpeg

I agree with Jerry, go to a 67 arrangement.
The way its mounted currently, is not operating as a swaybar properly.

Auto Transport Service
Back