• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger - Gauges not working

The 68-70 B body 2 and 4 door cars had a 19 gallon tank.

I don't think so. Best I can tell without taking the entire thing out, it's a repop. At a glance, it just looks too clean.
If it’s a reproduction it will never read correctly on the gauge anyways. They are not made right internally.

Your fuel hauge reading looks about right for a reproduction sending unit. You can bend the tube and float arm to get empty and full fairly close, but the rest of the sweep will never be correct. Takes a bunch of trial and error.

My frustration with these gauges continues to grow.

My oil gauge has now quit working. It reads nothing, absolutely nothing. Needle is below "0" psi.

Last edited:
I guess the oil pressure gauge decided to work again. No reason - it worked, then it didn't work, and now it works again...

Tomorrow will be a different story, I'm sure.

This is our first time out on a street run, but also the first time we've had a full tank of fuel. The gauge isn't reading correctly, but at least it does read something.

Image 6-7-24, 7.25.52 AM.jpg

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere, either in the sensor circuit itself or a ground issue.

The PCB (printed circuit board) connections may need some solder reflow. The pins at the connector to the PCB are revit pressed and a solder flow there fixes many intermittent issues.

If you want to pull the cluster PCB and send it to me I can inspect the connections, reflow solder, and bench test each gauge. Otherwise I can walk you through it, or find a old school speedometer shop to help you.

The PCB (printed circuit board) connections may need some solder reflow. The pins at the connector to the PCB are revit pressed and a solder flow there fixes many intermittent issues.

If you want to pull the cluster PCB and send it to me I can inspect the connections, reflow solder, and bench test each gauge. Otherwise I can walk you through it, or find a old school speedometer shop to help you.
A good ole-fashioned gauge pulling seems to be in the near future. I think the entire thing will need to be refurbished.

The clock doesn't work, speedometer bounces around, fuel level is incorrect, water temp is dead, and oil pressure is intermittent.

A good ole-fashioned gauge pulling seems to be in the near future. I think the entire thing will need to be refurbished.

The clock doesn't work, speedometer bounces around, fuel level is incorrect, water temp is dead, and oil pressure is intermittent.
Call Dick's speedometer in Tempe and see if they can help you.

It will cost you some coin but I highly recommend Redline Gauges if you're going for a full refurbishing.

Auto Transport Service
Back