• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 hemi charger

In 1968 the numbers are stamped on the back of the engine and transmission bell housing where the meet together on the top,behind the intake manifold where the oil pressure sending unit is.

Have you tried doing a Google search of your VIN? There are lots of posts on various websites of found broadcast sheets and even an occasional fender tag... Along with documents from selling dealers and all sorts of other things....
:praying:

This is a picture of where they are stamped. They would match the last 8 digits of the VIN number. The pictures has the last three digits covered by a blue square, this was done by the owner of the car,like you covered the numbers on your VIN tag photo.

IMG_9556.JPG

This is a picture of where they are stamped. They would match the last 8 digits of the VIN number. The pictures has the last three digits covered by a blue square, this was done by the owner of the car,like you covered the numbers on your VIN tag photo.

View attachment 1604834
Ah ok
I’ll have to look

The bell housings long gone, I’ve got a Lakewood in there.

The transmission should have the numbers stamped on the passenger's side of the case on a rectangular shaped raised pad.

Sure would be fantastic if the engine and transmission match the cars VIN!

Post them here? I thought this thread is only for chargers?
Have you posted on the welcome wagon yet? If not you can do an intro and post them. And a pic of the plane

Also stay away from the upper door panels for 70 chargers 69 68chargers that aren't from legendary if they're legendary I'm guessing they'll fit better like the ones from PG classics up in Canada the cheaper ones that they have for sale that are$150.00 cheaper than legendary ones terrible fit not even close have to totally modify the back ones at the roof and meets the quarter panel area stay away which I'm guessing you'll probably need

In 1968 the numbers are stamped on the back of the engine and transmission bell housing where the meet together on the top,behind the intake manifold where the oil pressure sending unit is.
At some point during the '68 prodction run, if not the full year, they started stamping the last half of the VIN on the pad on the transmission. Hamtramk cars for sure. I have an '68 18 spline trans with a Hamtramk VIN. The engine code does not show, so I am not sure if it is from 426 or 440 car though.

If I’m not mistaken, they didn’t start stamping vins on blocks until 69.
As long as I have the correct date code engine, which I do, then I’m ok.

It’s not a clone, it’s the real deal.
Look at the rear of the block where the transmission bolts up - I've had/have serial #'s on both of these -the block and trans stamped together for 1968....maybe because they were special built and not a regular production car....

HP engines were stamped only, my early build 68 build vert is a 2bbl 383, it’s not VIN stamped on the flange or bell. It has build day , plant etc on the ear near the starter and my car was built early August of 67.

At some point during the '68 prodction run, if not the full year, they started stamping the last half of the VIN on the pad on the transmission. Hamtramk cars for sure. I have an '68 18 spline trans with a Hamtramk VIN. The engine code does not show, so I am not sure if it is from 426 or 440 car though.
The VIN stamp I showed is from a 68 Hemi Coronet R/T,and the Lynch Road serial number 102XXX is very early in the 68 model year,perhaps Augst of 67.

I've never seen a 68 model year Hemi without a VIN stamp.... Hemi's were special & got treated differently.....
I have seen a few early 68 model year 440's built in 67 without a stamped VIN.... But I've also seen early 68's built in 67 that were stamped...
I've seen plenty of 383's from mid year 68 that weren't stamped... It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see a mid year 440 without a stamp...

Auto Transport Service
Back