• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 vinyl roof and molding?

Malicious

Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just got a 68 440 that I'm about to start 'resto modding' and I'm wanting to put a vinyl roof on it. Couple of questions, who sells the best fitting / quality vinyl roof? Does anyone make the vinyl roof moldings? Or do I have to hunt them up second hand?

Thanks in advance!

Legendary Auto Interiors makes a very nice vinyl top. I'm guessing you meant that you bought a '68 Coronet 440? The only vinyl top trim that is available for the '68-70 B-body is the inner sail "check" molding on a Charger. The outer moldings are not reproduced. As for the '68-70 Coronet/Super Bee & Satellite/Road Runner bodies, neither one is reproduced as well. Which ever body you have... Dodge or Plymouth, remember that the sail panel molding do not interchange. A lot of people think they are the same but one is longer than the other... I'm thinking the Plymouth molding is longer. Hope that helps.

Justin
"CornDog"

Thank Corndog, Yep its a Coronet sorry. Thats not great news. I will have to start hunting for the parts then.

Could you tell me exactly what I need to add the vinyl roof besides the vinyl? Is it just the molding that wraps around the C pillar?

Legendary. I agree.

...... one is longer than the other... I'm thinking the Plymouth molding is longer. Hope that helps.

Justin
"CornDog"

The Dodge v top molding is longer than the Plymouth. This is the area that they make the wheel base longer on the Dodge b bodies. They are not reproduced so used is your only option.

Last edited:
Thank Corndog, Yep its a Coronet sorry. Thats not great news. I will have to start hunting for the parts then.

Could you tell me exactly what I need to add the vinyl roof besides the vinyl? Is it just the molding that wraps around the C pillar?

No problem at all. The sail panel molding and the 6 required clips will be all you'll need. All of the other trim is same from a vinyl/non-vinyl top car. You can get the molding clips from RT Specialties.

Justin
"CornDog"

vinyl top

:sFl_america2:
Hi all,

I've just got a 68 440 that I'm about to start 'resto modding' and I'm wanting to put a vinyl roof on it. Couple of questions, who sells the best fitting / quality vinyl roof? Does anyone make the vinyl roof moldings? Or do I have to hunt them up second hand?

Thanks in advance!

malicious

You will need the 2 roof quarter mouldings and also you will need the gutter trim it is different between a vinyl top car and a non vinyl top car.Just so you know what you will need for the vinyl top installation.The mouldings for the quarters are like stated before, Dodge and Plymouth are different lengths.
Used is your only option that I know of.
Hope this will help.
Jeff

part numbers

non vinyl pillar mldg numbers 2840-280RT 2840-281LT
gutter mldg numbers 2840-282RT 2840-283LT
joint cover number 2783-028 same both sides

vinyl pillar mldg numbers 2932-512RT 2932-513LT
gutter mldg numbers 2841-504RT 2841-505LT
joint cover number 2783-028 same both sides

I have the opportunity to buy a new vinyl top for an '69 Charger for very little $$. Does anybody know it would fit 68-70 Coronets? :argue:

Actually, I kind of think it might work. Yes, it is a different roof but the Charger roof has larger sail panels. The only issue I can see is having too much material... nothing a razor blade couldn't fix. The seams would be the same. I have a Charger and a Coronet here. I can take measurement if you need.

Justin
"CornDog"

Auto Transport Service
Back