• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger door bumper stops not touching!

mopar4don

Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
I am in the process of door gapping, and after getting the gaps close I thought I should install the upper and lower bumper stops to check the outer alignment to quarter and door position (in and out to the striker)

I am working with an original inner door that I skinned with an AMD door skin.

So the 1st thing I am not happy about are the bumpers are very loose. So loose that if I left them in it would not be very long and they would fall out.
I bought a body bumper kit from Detroit Muscle so I assume they should be good.
Anyone have any issues with these bumpers not fitting?

20240215_181930.jpg

Here are the loose fitting bumpers
20240215_181630.jpg

20240215_181707.jpg

Next issue:
When I close the door with the bumpers installed and strikers removed, the door goes past were it should.

Now I assume that when the door is closed, with the strikers installed, both bumpers should make contact.

My door, with out the strikers closes farther than it should.

To measure how far, I left the upper bumper in and removed the lower bumper and it took 3 layers of these magnetic strips before the door was flush to the quarter.
each layer is about 1/16 so that's 3/16

20240215_181824.jpg

I then removed the upper and installed the lower bumper and rechecked.
It took 2 layers, so that's about 1/8 of an inch

20240215_181831.jpg

These must be the right bumpers from the kit, nothing else comes close to fitting.
So has anyone seen this?
Am I wrong to assume the door bumpers should be engaged when the door is shut?

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Do not rely on the rubber bumper stops. Get the weather strips on and then see how it fits. If the door lines up well adjust the striker and move on.

Do not rely on the rubber bumper stops. Get the weather strips on and then see how it fits. If the door lines up well adjust the striker and move on.

I know I will have to make the slot smaller to hold the bumpers tighter, other wise they will fall out.
Just wondering if they should be that far away?

Did you put new quarters on it?

My DMT bumpers fit perfectly. But I have original doors and quarters.
Pretty certain if you adjust the striker that should be all you have to do.

That is odd at how loose those bumpers fit. I have the same ones in my cars and they are snug.

I don't think I'd want the bumpers to hit !! You need the hood bumpers to hit because those align the hood - and they're adjustable for that reason. But all the other bumpers on the car ... there as a precaution - not so sure they need to touch!

So if I install the brand new weather strips, how hard will it be to remove them?
I installed one clip and had a hard time getting it back out!

They come out fairly easily if you pay attention to how they work. I have a box of the clips in case you break any....

I would remove the strikers and latches.
Get the sills , pillars and jambs paint ready.
Don't put the weather seals on yet.
Do a ruff adjust to make sure the door top to cowl and door to qt. Panel and door to rocker is decent.
Do not worry about the door sitting in a bit. They will be out past flush once your done and the weather seals are on.
Yes find some new bumpers that fit a little better. They should not come into play unless the door is slammed hard.
Do you door adjustments with the latch and striker off after paint.
The doors are coming back off anyway to paint it.

Are you sure you have the correct bumpers in the right place as i recall having a similar issue then finding out the bumpers were for the bonnet

Auto Transport Service
Back