• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Superbee glass dilemma.

Rustymopar

Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
69 Superbee glass dilemma.

I’m to the point of the restoration that I need to make some important choices and I’m seeking some of your valued opinions.

Background info: 69 Superbee Hemi orange, white tail strip, white interior 383 NOM with original 4 speed. Rather rare color combo. The car was a longtime friend who passed away 4 years ago. Who would never sell it to me when he was alive because he said “You won’t restore it right” He was wrong and now it’s off of the rotisserie, with a superb paint and great gaps.. Well it’s about 65%-75% done and I’m at the glass stage. The problem is this.
I have the original glass – The previous owner before Warren ((RIP and stop haunting me to do it right because I am you, AH ;-) )) had sand blasted the car at some point and has gotten into some of the side glass.

The front vent windows are pitted almost to the point of seeing a light frosted glass. Not horrible but noticeable. The driver’s side rear glass is shot. No way would it buff out. Door glass will be cleaned and inspected tomorrow and passenger rear glass is fair but some etching from sand.

BUT- I have a 69 Coronet 440 parts car which has all of the glass but it’s tinted green glass and the back drivers side glass is broken but all other 5 side pieces are in decent shape. I think it was for A/C cars and its marked AIR TEMP on the back passenger glass.
The green glass was not used in Superbee’s that I’m aware of.
Choices to make- PLEASE CHIME IN.. I value your opinions.

#1 Keep it original with clear glass and just replace all 6 side pieces of glass with new AMD so it all matches (certain it won’t say Chrysler Corp on it)

#2 Keep it original use the vent windows (questionably etched) and passenger rear glass and just buy the other 3 pieces as needed. Door glass might be ok but doubtful. I will find out Friday or Saturday,

#3 Use the green tinted Air Temp glass and just replace the 1 piece. (not sure how it would look green tinted glass on Hemi orange)

What would you do?

I would use the green glass and get a replacement window option.... you have it use it.

100_5657.jpgI would use the tinted glass as well. I restored a 70 Challenger for my Niece a couple years ago. It was an AC car with the tinted glass. She wanted it painted GoMango Orange. It looks great with the tinted glass. Here's a pic

Is the windshield and back window tinted as well? My car doesn't have AC.

View attachment 201202I would use the tinted glass as well. I restored a 70 Challenger for my Niece a couple years ago. It was an AC car with the tinted glass. She wanted it painted GoMango Orange. It looks great with the tinted glass. Here's a pic

All glass is tinted in A/C cars. Usually the windshield is tinted and shaded at the top. Most people that have a windshield replaced in a non A/C car get the shaded and tinted one. If you are doing a 100 point resto on the car, I would try to find correct dated clear glass for the car. If you don't care about numbers and such, use the tinted glass you have and have a tinted / shaded windshield installed.

Auto Transport Service
Back