• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 R/R Replacement Speedo Cable, Best?

skrambler

Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
Hi All. While driving my 1970, 383, automatic R/R a horrid grinding sound suddenly started behind the dash, and my speedometer lurched ahead an additional 35 M.P.H. Taking my foot, I was able to move the cable left and right while I was driving. The tone of the grinding changed back and fourth, then it quit! BUT, so did the speedometer. I am no longer able to lay under the dash and locate and disconnect the cable, horrid back issues, so I am asking if in fact it sounds like it is the speedometer cable? and where YOU would buy a correct replacement (part numbers?). Dash photo attached.
Thanks, in advance! DSCN4290.JPG

Being the speedometer had jumped 35 mph higher I would lean towards the speedometer head. Find a friend to help diagnose the problem.

Taking the advice of pnora I found a Mechanic that was willing to take a good look under the dash. His conclusion was that the plastic collar where the cable attaches to the back was cracked and may even have a bit missing. So, I guess I will start with having the speedometer cable replaced, first, and if that doesn't do the trick then dig in deeper.
So, I suppose I am back to my original question, to find the best cable that gives the least amount of troubles for those of you that have been down this road. Your opinions welcomed and appreciated!!!

A lot of the aftermarkets are (fit all) 80" length and some have incorrect size gear housing nut. The link above is a trusted source. IIRC, the correct length for 70B is 62".

Another vote for Mega Parts.

Taking the advice of pnora I found a Mechanic that was willing to take a good look under the dash. His conclusion was that the plastic collar where the cable attaches to the back was cracked and may even have a bit missing. So, I guess I will start with having the speedometer cable replaced, first, and if that doesn't do the trick then dig in deeper.
So, I suppose I am back to my original question, to find the best cable that gives the least amount of troubles for those of you that have been down this road. Your opinions welcomed and appreciated!!!
Send me a plane ticket and I will put it in for you. Hell I will give you a days labor to do anything else you want.

This is the time of year that I LOVE the High Desert. Not too hot and not too cold. 55 degrees of intense sun allows for just a T-shirt. Almost would take you up on your travel offer. Age seems to have a not so funny way of making what used to be simple tasks into next to impossible to achieve!!!
Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Auto Transport Service
Back