• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70' RR Project

RebelRider

Local time
10:25 AM
Reaction score
A little background before I get started.......

What I'm working with is a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner. 383/727. I've owned the car since 1997. I drove the car to high-school until it spun a rod bearing. My dad and I refreshed the non-numbers matching 383 along with the TF 727. By this time, I had kind of strayed away from it and got into 4x4's. I've been stuck on them ever since. The Plymouth sat in the shop collecting dust. It turned into the same old story....." I plan to restore it ". In 2006 I actually had it pulled onto a trailer, ready to be hauled back to it's previous owner (my uncle). I got cold feet at the last minute and backed out on the deal. I backed it off of the trailer and back into the shop it went. My uncle was not upset. Again, the car sat.

Fast forward to present. I'm getting a little burnt out on the 4X4 scene. I'm not selling out, but just taking a break. My wife has been asking me for quite some time when she will get to ride it in again. I brought her on our first date in this car and she has always loved it. We will look past the fact that it left us stranded on that date. So the car has been pulled out and the dust has been blown off.

The intentions for this project.....
As mentioned before, this is not a numbers matching car. I do not plan to cut this car up with big slicks or anything like that but will not be an OEM build either. Even though I have owned this car for quite some time, I'm not really familiar with old Mopars. Instead of starting numerous threads for questions I have, I hope everyone can help me along the way using this thread. The first thing I will be working on is getting the 383 running right so I can move it around.

I started with the carb (770cfm Holley) by rebuilding it. I had started another thread because I could not get the carb to feed any fuel. Everyone was very helpful, but turns out I had the metering blocks switched around. I got this carb used, and I figure they were swapped around when I got it. We all know this probably isn't true, but that's what I'm telling myself. After fixing my dumb mistake, I got the car running, but poorly. I've about got it narrowed down to the outdated points and condensers. Years ago we had picked up the parts to switch it over the electronic ignition at a swap meet. I went to put the electronic distributor in just to find it being too tall? I figured I could swap the shaft from my points distributor and be good to go. So while tearing it down I noticed the weights were oriented opposite from the new distributor. So I jump on this forum and find out I have a small block distributor. So at this point, all I have is the new harness to swap it over. I don't have the orange box either. I've decided to just go with the PerTronix kit and be done with it. I'm also toying with the idea of doing a 4 spd swap.

The next step will be addressing the rust. It's a fairly solid car besides the trunk pans and under the top. I plan to put a roof skin, trunk pans and both rear quarters on it from AMD. I will be going back with the Purple as well.

This is where I am now, and any constructive criticism is welcome.

Pictures to come........

3cf8f7486c4a43e1c0054e256d170ab0.jpg
b346a70a293c8e8888300a45c641aa81.jpg
26dea8c9334840217621218c3696e7e6.jpg
3ee28b79d3e88844e5672a5732de7f6e.jpg
0ccc6fb3bd35dbcc0fb6a51eb89aa8f6.jpg

6bee2cc9e3a7c6bc0273f263bde6e207.jpg
5139a1bcc725ffd44a07a948d3b773e3.jpg

sell your 4x4's and focus on the Mopar. nice looking RR by the way

Nice project to start out with. Cant go wrong saving a 70 RR. Good luck and you might want to sell all your 4x4 stuff to finance it. Just sayin'...

Nice car! That's where I was when I started with my 70 RR project. I had a good intact interior, basket case engine, and rust. I got it running first to keep me motivated and started to address rust. Mine was easier as the rust was in the lower quarters and rockers, that vinyl top has destroyed ur roof and its spreading into the quarters.

For the engine I would suggest the proform electronic ignition kit. Its around 140 dollars and u get distributor, ecu, ballast and wiring to plug and play.

That's a great project to be breathing life back into. No constructive criticism at this point but my only word of advice is to get a complete idea for the direction you want to go and take the time to see it through. I'm consistently taking 2 steps back and one step forward to get the end result that I know I've always wanted and mostly due to being impatient

Good luck!

Nice car! That's where I was when I started with my 70 RR project. I had a good intact interior, basket case engine, and rust. I got it running first to keep me motivated and started to address rust. Mine was easier as the rust was in the lower quarters and rockers, that vinyl top has destroyed ur roof and its spreading into the quarters.

For the engine I would suggest the proform electronic ignition kit. Its around 140 dollars and u get distributor, ecu, ballast and wiring to plug and play.

I'd like to keep it a vinyl top after I skin it, but I'll actually paint it underneath.
I've looked at the proform, but have read mixed reviews. Any experience?

Cool car, I like the seats.

That's a great project to be breathing life back into. No constructive criticism at this point but my only word of advice is to get a complete idea for the direction you want to go and take the time to see it through. I'm consistently taking 2 steps back and one step forward to get the end result that I know I've always wanted and mostly due to being impatient

Good luck!

Impatience is my downfall also, but I like to finish things too. I'd love to clone the car to a superbird, but that's still way up in the air.

Another thing I'll have to get used too is making things nice. While building my 4x4's, if something is in the way, cut it out. Need different engine mounts? Weld in some plate.....

I'd like to keep it a vinyl top after I skin it, but I'll actually paint it underneath.
I've looked at the proform, but have read mixed reviews. Any experience?

I still use the one I bought shortly after buying the car. Its a good cheap starter kit because it has everything to plug in and go. I have used it on a 383 for 5 years now, no complaints. The new motor I have in the works is an RB block so I need another distributor, looking at the firecore from Mancini because based on reviews here its easier to fine tune the advance curve.

Looks like a pretty good base to start on, good thing you kept it all those years ago. I like the extra trim around the tail and wheel wells that you usually see on a GTX.

Nice project. It looks like you'd better buy the roof that's been advertised on here lately.

Looks like a pretty good base to start on, good thing you kept it all those years ago. I like the extra trim around the tail and wheel wells that you usually see on a GTX.
Yea, I'm not sure what is factory or what has been added on over the years. It has power steering and a/c, but manual drum brakes. I have disc to put on the front though.

Nice project. It looks like you'd better buy the roof that's been advertised on here lately.

Which one is that? I should mention that I have a decent background in fabrication, as well as the tools to do so.

Yea, the drive from Texas to PA may kill the deal. lol. I plan to buy a new skin.

Auto Transport Service
Back