• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Gentle Ben" is Back! The rare 1966 Coronet 426 Street Wedge 4-Speed has a new owner

Well, I can tell you this for a fact my original 66 383 had an advertised horsepower rating of 325 at 10 to one compression when the engine was tore down at 58,000 miles untouched the Pistons were way farther down in the bore than a ten to one piston would’ve been in fact, the calculation came out to 9.4 to one you can’t argue numbers but the point being by the time that car with that 426 was sent to Mr. norms Tom Hoover himself well before October 1965 was driving around a 66 street hemi four-door Plymouth testing it . There is just no comparison of a red ram 426 street wedge and a 426 street hemi , if it was such an awesome set up why isn’t there more of them out there and people building that engine combination .

Exactly. How did that Engine leave Mr. Norms? What was the cam profile? Did it have headers or manifolds exactly? How did it leave there? Ask the original owner or I’m assuming you must have what was his answer?

Exactly. How did that Engine leave Mr. Norms? What was the cam profile? Did it have headers or manifolds exactly? How did it leave there? Ask the original owner or I’m assuming you must have what was his answer?
Excluding the cam I have all of those answers and I’ve happily shared them with Jim

Well, I can tell you this for a fact my original 66 383 had an advertised horsepower rating of 325 at 10 to one compression when the engine was tore down at 58,000 miles untouched the Pistons were way farther down in the bore than a ten to one piston would’ve been in fact, the calculation came out to 9.4 to one you can’t argue numbers but the point being by the time that car with that 426 was sent to Mr. norms Tom Hoover himself well before October 1965 was driving around a 66 street hemi four-door Plymouth testing it . There is just no comparison of a red ram 426 street wedge and a 426 street hemi , if it was such an awesome set up why isn’t there more of them out there and people building that engine combination .
Just from your statement I can tell you didn’t read or listen to any of the history on the car

we spent a lot of time at norms,bought a 65 coronet from him with the 426 sw. in 66 we saw a coronet with 383 badges and what looked like a 383 engine.i spent some time arguing with the salesman that is in fact a 383 car.if your familiar with a 65 383 thats exactly what this car looked like.he poionted to the right side of the block,it said 426.if you want to fool street racers with what you are really runnig why would you paint the engine orange or put chrome on it .it would then look like the 426 of 65,except turquise.norm was slick.

Few non-Mopar guys can tell a B from an RB without being specifically directed to the RB distributor pad.

Auto Transport Service
Back