• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71-2 Satellite fiberglass flat hood survey

Sedanman

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
I need to do a survey on the 71-2 Satellite flat hood I dropped off at VFN. They prefer to make the hood and scoop all in one. I have 3 options. They can make just a flat hood/no grooves on the outer skin by itself,one with the 3" 6pak scoop or a 5" scoop moulded into it. I told them I would get some feedback from you guys. The cost/labor to add a scoop to the flat hood after being made is about the cost of the hood itself,and is a whole days parts and labor. The cost of a hood with the scoop in the actual mold is $775 for a bolt on. If I have them just make a flat hood and add a scoop after it's an additional $700 just to add the scoop + the cost of the scoop. They want to know which way we would want to go and I said I would post it for feedback. I didn't realize what it took to add a scoop after it was made. I was hoping to add a modern Demon scoop to it. I need your feedback

Personal preference is part of the equation as well as cost & local laws regarding height limits which vary for state to state. In some states, you can get away with anything. In my state, NJ, there are laws about a street car scoop height. I am not sure of what it is now but I have had a replica 7" high Sox & Martin pro stock style hood scoop for 40 years now and would love to run it on my car, but the zipper heads here still say it's too tall and not legal. They call it an obstruction to vision. So checking your local laws first may help you make a decision. Pictures of your scoops are appreciated, but many of us here already know what a 6pak scoop looks like. One thing I also considered was a way to block off the air opening for driving in an unexpected rain storm. I put a mini Sox & Martin scoop on my old 65 Dart 50 years ago, but I made an aluminum block off for the opening that I could install in a few minutes.

1707271153913.jpeg

Personal preference is part of the equation as well as cost & local laws regarding height limits which vary for state to state. In some states, you can get away with anything. In my state, NJ, there are laws about a street car scoop height. I am not sure of what it is now but I have had a replica 7" high Sox & Martin pro stock style hood scoop for 40 years now and would love to run it on my car, but the zipper heads here still say it's too tall and not legal. They call it an obstruction to vision. So checking your local laws first may help you make a decision. Pictures of your scoops are appreciated, but many of us here already know what a 6pak scoop looks like. One thing I also considered was a way to block off the air opening for driving in an unexpected rain storm. I put a mini Sox & Martin scoop on my old 65 Dart 50 years ago, but I made an aluminum block off for the opening that I could install in a few minutes.

View attachment 1604977
This is my rough draft

Resized_20220207_175920.jpeg

Resized_20220207_180205.jpeg

Here is a quick shot of my other old Dart with a shaker scoop mounted on it. Believe it or not, it only cost me $10.00! Good luck with your plan.

1707277524084.jpeg

I would go with the moulded-in 3" six barrel scoop, but what 5" scoop are you talking about?

Aesthetically/proportions, the 3" six barrel scoop will probably look better than any 5" scoop.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

FWIW, a long time ago I was a poor student and didn't add a six barrel scoop to my '71 Satellite because of the costs involved.

They make 3” and a 5” 6 oak scoop

If you want scoop options it will have to be a flat hood. They will only make one mold

I like what you're doing here because I always wanted a flat hood with the larger version six pack scoop that would be my choice.

I like what you're doing here because I always wanted a flat hood with the larger version six pack scoop that would be my choice.
So far I have only gotten feedback from 4 or 5 people and I posted this in a bunch fb groups too. If they make a 6 pack hood that is our only option. If they make a flat hood you’ll have more scoop options but they don’t install them after the hood is made. That would have to be farmed out afterwards

Auto Transport Service
Back