• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71-4 B Body Air Grabber and Power Bulge Hood Hinge Springs

JG71B

Local time
11:59 PM
Reaction score
To my understanding there are 2 different kinds of springs for the flat hoods and the "sport" hoods the latter being a heavier spring. Does anyone know of a source for the heavier springs? Maybe a dimensionally similar heavier spring? My hinges themselves are fine. It closes smoothly and releases fine. The back pops up easily after driving a bit but a very light push drops it back down.
Thanks for any help
Screenshot_20221015-122221_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
To my understanding there are 2 different kinds of springs for the flat hoods and the "sport" hoods the latter being a heavier spring. Does anyone know of a source for the heavier springs? Maybe a dimensionally similar heavier spring? My hinges themselves are fine. It closes smoothly and releases fine. The back pops up easily after driving a bit but a very light push drops it back down.
Thanks for any help
View attachment 1358100
Wow! There’s a detail I never knew of! I’m building an aftermarket air grabber onto an original steel hood, so I’d certainly be interested to know the answer myself!

Wow! There’s a detail I never knew of! I’m building an aftermarket air grabber onto an original steel hood, so I’d certainly be interested to know the answer myself!
Still diggin. A guy claims he has a set. Waiting....could be just bs

Last edited:
Still diggin. A guys claims he has a set. Waiting....could be just bs
I wish you luck. I’ve got a few different pairs around here if I can find them to sort through.....looks like the difference is pretty obvious judging by the pic you posted

I wish you luck. I’ve got a few different pairs around here if I can find them to sort through.....looks like the difference is pretty obvious judging by the pic you posted
Guy sent me pics of what he has. Same amount if coils, just fatter and overall slightly longer
Screenshot_20221019-162416_Messenger.jpg

Good info....... I'll do some digging in my junk heap when the wasps have gone to the happy hunting ground for the winter. Lol
Ended up finding 2 sets. The one with the smaller spring on the left may be for a Challenger or something. I always thought they were the same
20221020_183904.jpg

Ended up finding 2 sets. The one with the smaller spring on the left may be for a Challenger or something. I always thought they were the sameView attachment 1360991
Yeah I never noticed any difference either, and as many engine swaps as my brother and I did back in our hot rodding days, seems like I would have noticed......he had nothing but E bodies, and I had nothing but B bodies!......and as many head gaskets as those 340s ate, I was under there plenty. Lol

Need to bring this thread back up. Is there a source for the heavier springs? Thanks

Yes it turns out that the fresh air hoods used different springs according to the parts manual.

View attachment 1651068
Does the 1970 RR have a different spring for the fresh air hood also? I have that page but i couldnt figure it out or it was incomplete. i added a n96 AMD hood and now i have that same problem with the hood sitting high in the right rear. You can push it down and it is correct, but everytime you open it it goes back to sitting a little high.

A stiffer spring is probably not going to resolve the OP's "corner pop" issue.

That's likely a mounting adjustment at the fender.....and it's a PITA to get 100% right involving some counter-intuitive movements.

A stiffer spring is probably not going to resolve the OP's "corner pop" issue.

That's likely a mounting adjustment at the fender.....and it's a PITA to get 100% right involving some counter-intuitive movements.
I had that same issue for years with my 440 ‘cuda. I had it sold and while waiting for the transporter to show up I played with the adjustment and got it perfect. I just wish that I would have done it sooner.

Auto Transport Service
Back