• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Runner followed me home

Midnight_Rider

Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
Went to look at a 72 Charger last weekend, ended up with this instead. Yes, she's rough now, but if you squint a little and use your imagination... Anyway ya gotta start somewhere. The end goal is a decent driver/weekender.

Just be forewarned, this thread's probably going to be pretty much a placeholder for a while unless I liquidate another vehicle to finance this one. Otherwise it may languish here dormant for a bit until the fiscal outlook is a little more robust.

Anyway, pics:

Got it unloaded off the flatbed after the long drive home Sunday evening. Stuffed full of parts.
IMG_0144_sized.jpg

Originally a 383 car. The hood's probably going to end up being right though...
IMG_0145_sized.jpg

Still had the fender tag.
IMG_0146_sized.jpg

Got the replacement quarter panel and extra fender unloaded and stashed in the garage today.
IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

And snapped a few better pics in the daylight... the 'good' side:
IMG_0153_cr.jpg

And the bad side (guess that's what the quarter panel's for):
IMG_0155_cr.jpg

Split bench seat. This is probably the worst/most bothersome spot on the exterior, marked with the red square:
IMG_0158_marked.jpg

Needs the driver's side floor pan replaced. Got one with the car, in the trunk. Rails are solid.
IMG_0164.jpg

Passenger side floor is solid.
IMG_0160.jpg

Trunk is also solid, full of parts now so you can't really tell.

Has a nice booty...
IMG_0161_cr.jpg

Dash/cluster are in typical shape. Column shift will have to go. I'll probably stash the bench seat too and get some buckets in there.
IMG_0163.jpg

That's all for now.

Very ambitious project. I wish you all the luck in the world.

BEAUTIFUL CAR! It is in much better shape than mine when I started

Here is your decoded tag:

RM23:
Plymouth Belvedere,Satellite
Medium, Road Runner
2 Door Hardtop

N1G: 383 300HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
St. Louis, MO, USA

205923: Sequence number

E65: 383 cid 4 barrel V8 300hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
GB7: Dark Blue Poly Exterior Color
M285: Trim - Opt. Decor Group, Vinyl Bench Seat, Unknown Color
GB7: Dark Blue Poly Int. Door Frames
421: Build Date: April 21
149805: Order number

V4W: Unknown Top Color
U: USA Specifications
B11: H.D. Drum Brakes 10in - Auto Adj. (A-Body)
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater

J25: 3 Speed Wipers
J45: Hood Tie Down Pins
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
N41: Dual Exhaust
N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)

26: 26in Radiator
END: End of Sales Codes

Here is your decoded tag:

RM23:
Plymouth Belvedere,Satellite
Medium, Road Runner
2 Door Hardtop

N1G: 383 300HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
St. Louis, MO, USA

205923: Sequence number

E65: 383 cid 4 barrel V8 300hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
GB7: Dark Blue Poly Exterior Color
M285: Trim - Opt. Decor Group, Vinyl Bench Seat, Unknown Color M2B5 blue bench interior
GB7: Dark Blue Poly Int. Door Frames
421: Build Date: April 21
149805: Order number

V4W: Unknown Top Color V4W white canopy top
U: USA Specifications
B11: H.D. Drum Brakes 10in - Auto Adj. (A-Body)
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater

J25: 3 Speed Wipers
J45: Hood Tie Down Pins
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
N41: Dual Exhaust
N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)

26: 26in Radiator
END: End of Sales Codes

Thanks for the comments & the decoding assist.

Haven't done much with the car since bringing it home until today... I picked up a 440, complete. It's not much, but it's inching in the right direction :)

Good luck - You've got a bit of a wax job on your hands. Try Turtle Hard Shell - paste wax. You'll have her shined up in no time.

Congrats on saving another b body!

B7 is a really cool color...that touch of teal in it just makes it awesome.

sjd

Well it's been a while getting around to starting on the old bird, but I finally got her rolled into the garage to do a little work on it.

I cut enough of the old pan out to do an initial test-fit of the new piece. Temporarily marked the tunnel with tape, as I know this is going to move as I continue to remove material and get a better fit on the pans. Taking it slow since this is my first go at sheet metal.

19059086_1562452243796381_8042377747274739184_n.jpg

Thanks.

I am patient and persistent. Either that, or too dumb to know when I'm licked! Either way :p

Time, $$$, and patience is what it takes. Mine had been in the works for TOO long and I'm too not determined to throw in the towel. A little bit here and there because Rome wasn't built in day.

Last edited:
Well, after a lot of drilling out spot welds, cleaning, filling, treating/coating, welding, grinding and sealing in my (sorely lacking) spare time... the floor pans are finally done. No more Flintstone action!

Not setting any records here but I learned (am learning) a new skill, saved some money and have a new welder out of the deal. Leaving the hump out for now, could be helpful to see what's going on from the top during the transmission install?

20171014_192800_resized1.jpg

Next weekend it's scheduled to go in for quarter panel replacement, going to leave that to a pro since it needs some work in the passenger side door striker panel area. Doors and fenders can be adjusted, quarters not so much. Plus that's a lot more visible than floor pans and I want it to be spot on.

Interior is B5 (typo 8 instead of B)

Top is white.

Quarters (full and patch) are available form AMD.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back