• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 b body to 70 a body brake swap

Fervantmender

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
IMG_0101.JPG
Hi guys I just inherited a new project to add to a list of things to do.
It is a 1970 Dart with front drum brakes. I have a 72 charger parts car and was wondering if I could swap the disk brakes over to the Dart.
I haven't done any measuring jut based on looks alone the control arms seem to be the same.
Input and advise is appreciated as I am fairly new to the older mopars.

yes but you'll need to find some 73-6 A-body upper control arms for the large upper ball joints. 70-2 B/E rotors can be hard to find and expensive.

Last edited:
I meant for A bodies, guessing they are 4" bolt pattern. Now I guess you will need also calipers, brackets, bearings, hoses and MC. Maybe rockauto have everything BUT the caliper brackets and the correct brake fluid dist block

I was thinking about using the spindles, rotors and calipers from the charger but I didn't think about the different bolt pattern

Mmm the rotors I posted specifically for A body with disc, since they are replacement stock parts, and should be ready to mount on existant spindles. Not A body expert thought.

If you install B body setup or later A Body ( which would be the same ) will get 4.5" bolt pattern in front, but still 4" bolt pattern on rear. Depending on what axle you have, will need aftermarket axles ( 8.75" ) or later axles too ( 8.25" ).

If 8.75" your existant axles can be modified since doesn't exist stock A body axles on 4.5"... or B body axles cut to fit on A body. Machine job required. 3 ways to do it.

There are several articles and also threads but I don't have them at this moment

Last edited:
If they are in working order, there's really no need to use them as cores.

5x4/12 is the more desirable pattern, and you will be half way there.

Now find a 66/67 B body 8 3/4 or F/M/J body 8 1/4.

Auto Transport Service
Back