• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Charger Headlight switch and connector

Flash

Local time
3:23 PM
Reaction score
Well at some point my headlight switch and connector melted.

Looking to replace place both could anyone recommend a good source for the switch and 7 pin connector?

20230729_143522.jpg

Check with big warehouses like Classic Industries. You might need to place a wanted ad here on the site and look for a used ser up. You have some other issues that caused that.

Both are regular pieces still available at regulat parts shops new. The connector is not only for Charger/b body, but allmost all Mopars of those years use the same piece.

That switch and plug was used into the 90s on Dodge trucks including Dakotas. That will make it readily avail for you at the local parts house. Just buy a good brand switch or you could have problems with the internal breaker being weak and make sure the new pug tail has the correct wire gauge. As others have said you better check out your wiring for excessive draw.

Check with big warehouses like Classic Industries. You might need to place a wanted ad here on the site and look for a used ser up. You have some other issues that caused that.
I checked classic industries and could not find the part. When searching else where all I can find is 9 pin connectors. Maybe I'm using the wrong search name? - "Dodge 7 pin headlight connector"

Looks like the previous owner "repaired" it by putting in a new green wire as shown in the picture. Any thoughts on what else to check?

20230730_073146.jpg

That switch and plug was used into the 90s on Dodge trucks including Dakotas. That will make it readily avail for you at the local parts house. Just buy a good brand switch or you could have problems with the internal breaker being weak and make sure the new pug tail has the correct wire gauge. As others have said you better check out your wiring for excessive draw.
Yeah I keep seeing those but they are 9pin. My 72 has a 7 pin connector, any idea if the additional 2 pins are just for extra features and if the wires all match up?

if Searching on the web, just use Mopar headlight connector, or be specific on year, 72 mopar headlight connector

Check dimmer switch while you're at it!!!!!!!!!

Looking to replace place both could anyone recommend a good source for the switch and 7 pin connector?

View attachment 1501863
C

View attachment 1501863

Check dimmer switch while you're at it!!!!!!!

Not to high jack the thread, but I just replaced my dash with the Autometer Dash... and I have to say. That headlight switch and harness is terrible (granted it's 50 years old). I'm waiting for a meltdown myself.
Anyone have any more modern solutions? Possibly something that plugs into the back instead of the top (big part of the problem)
Wiper switch isn't much better. Wipers now won't turn off. I gave up for now and just unplugged.

Not to high jack the thread, but I just replaced my dash with the Autometer Dash... and I have to say. That headlight switch and harness is terrible (granted it's 50 years old). I'm waiting for a meltdown myself.
Anyone have any more modern solutions? Possibly something that plugs into the back instead of the top (big part of the problem)
Wiper switch isn't much better. Wipers now won't turn off. I gave up for now and just unplugged.
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but I'm installing relays in line from the switch to headlight to reduce high currents going back to the switch. Here is the kit that was suggested by another member.

[ALL STAR TRUCK PARTS] 4-Headlight Relay Wiring Harness H4 Headlamp Light Bulb Ceramic Socket Plugs Set https://a.co/d/1iVDEcN

Link doesn't work, but I think I see what you're getting at. You are still using the old switch though?

Do you have a wiring manual? I'd start with that. Figure out where the wiring is going to before you burn something else up. When I got my 72 the entire wiring harness was burned.

Do you have a wiring manual? I'd start with that. Figure out where the wiring is going to before you burn something else up. When I got my 72 the entire wiring harness was burned.
The plug was burned up before I even got the car as you can see previous owner rewired only the plug for the hideaway headlight doors.

Replaced the connector, switch and high beam switch/connector.

Yes I have a wiring manual.

Auto Transport Service
Back